[ 002 ] recklessness.

— CHAPTER TWO,
recklessness.

"9-1-1, WHAT'S YOUR EMERGENCY?"

Dispatch is the actual first responder. They are there for the entire call, and some times the end. Ivy accepted this within the first week she actually started working calls. Dispatch and the first responders go hand-in-hand. There is simply not one without the other.

But, Ivy Rhodes isn't herself without her firehouse family, Athena, her little girl, and Carla. Hen, Bobby, Chim, her firehouse family. And somewhere along the way, Evan 'Buck' Buckley has been working his ass off to be apart of it. But with the hateful glances from Ivy and the raised eyebrows from Bobby, he isn't so sure it's working.

Ivy and Buck were flirty at first. And after about a week of him living with her and Cami, she considered him a friend. But after he allowed a woman into her house, one she didn't know, Ivy told him to find another place to live. She told him that she was not putting her daughter into danger because of Buck's sex drive.

So now, Buck lives with some frat boys.

But currently, Ivy sits at the island at the firehouse, her phone in hand. Beside her, Chim rambles about the girl he met online. She doesn't really listen, she's too engrossed in her game.

"Candy crush is out of date," Hen informs her as she walks past with the salad bowl.

Ivy looks up at her. "I like it. I'm on level two hundred and eighty."

Hen's eyes widen as she nods. "Where do you even find that time?"

"I don't have a dating life. All I do is work and take care of my kid." Ivy shrugs.

"Yeah, but both take up a lot of time. . ." Hen states. "So?"

Ivy scoffs, "Carla and Cami play it on her IPad that's connected to my phone."

Hen smirks. "I figured."

That's when the sound of their ladder truck backing into the firehouse fills the air. Everyone goes silent as they look towards it. Ivy rolls her eyes. It's Buck. He's been unaccounted for, for about fifteen minutes. As the fire truck shuts off, Ivy stands up from her spot at the counter and moves to sit beside Hen at the table.

She grabs a plate and the bowl of spaghetti. She starts to scoop her a spoonful with an eager finger appears in front of her eyes. Buck scoops up two noodles.

"Ew, Buck." She pulls back. "Wash your hands. We don't know where your fingers have been."

"What if we had a call?" Bobby asks as he approaches the table.

"I was in the neighborhood. I was just, uh, getting it washed." Buck responds.

"They charge you extra for the full detail?" Chim asks.

"Oh, yeah, yeah." Buck laughs.

"Fifteen minutes, Evan." Ivy tuts. "You weren't gone very long."

Buck's eyes immediately narrow at her insinuation. "What—"

Bobby cuts him off. "Listen," he tells Buck. Buck's smiles drops. "I like you. You're a good firefighter. I know we got this thing, you call me "Pops" and I give you a hard time for being a dumbass kid, we went to a Springsteen concert together. But this is not a family. It's not a clubhouse. So I'm writin' you up."

"Come on, Bobby." Buck starts, his pride obviously hurt. "This is a family, you guys just. . . won't let me in. See the fire, put out the fire. The rest is blah, blah."