Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"...And lastly, Ferretpaw and Littlepaw will be coming to the gathering."

I glanced at Littlepaw as the crowd of warriors began to disperse and prepare for the journey to the gathering. My friend's pelt was puffed up, and her eyes were as eager as I felt. I followed her towards our den, hopping over a splayed out root.

"Why aren't we all going to the gathering?" Littlepaw glanced up at me from over her shoulder. "I mean, I guess the kits are young to make the journey, but still."

Frogstream slipped out of the hollowed out tree as we neared it. The she-cat eyed the warriors that were padding towards the exit of the temporary den with a desolate expression on her face. Littlepaw glanced up at her.

"Aquastar didn't let you come," the pale brown tabby commented to her mentor, "but he let all the apprentices go. How come?"

I had an idea of why the she-cat couldn't come. For StarClan's sake, she burns everything she touches! But Littlepaw still stared up at her with curious eyes.

Frogstream settled on the ground, tucking her muzzle in between her glowing paws. She sighed as she eyed the warriors bustling about the camp. "I'm the monster, remember?" she sighed. "I'll spare you the details of what happened, kits, but I got my powers at a young age by accident. Most cats wanted me dead," she glanced at me. "Your mother wanted me to go in the water, and never return. But Dewocean spoke up. She said I could be of use to ShoreClan. A weapon. A cat that could kill, after all, I'd done it once."

"Your sister." Littlepaw murmured under her breath. "She couldn't blame you. It was an accident."

Frogstream glanced up at her sharply. I too eyed Littlepaw suspiciously. What now? Frogstream was a very private cat, mostly spending her days in the den or working on non-flammable tasks in camp. How could Littlepaw know something if Ferretpaw didn't?

"I heard you mumble at night," Littlepaw whispered, eyeing the warriors around camp uneasily. "How often do you dream about that story? And is Aquapaw really Aquastar now? Doesn't he realise what he did that night?"

Frogstream sighed, burying her muzzle in between her paws. Littlepaw gently rested a tail tip over the sizzling water that flowed infinitely over her head. Then, the older she-cat shook her head slightly, and lifted her muzzle. Slowly, she got to her paws until she stood beside Littlepaw.

"Don't talk about it, okay?" Her voice still shook, but her eyes had an odd look of confidence within them now. "Yes, he was the one that made me fall. Yes, I burned her. And yes, Aquapaw was the one that harnessed my power by covering me in the water. You know how he moves things with his mind. He's a powerful tom. But I've found a life for myself here. It's...it's fine."

He moves things with his mind. Powerful.

I followed Frogstream's gaze to where Aquastar stood beside Dewocean and the Medicine Cat, Silvershine. His fur gleamed in the sunlight, reminding me of rocks bathed in glistening water. Rocks. Water. Power.

Could he have killed Streamstar?

Littlepaw was still eyeing Frogstream, clearly struggling with words to comfort the upset she-cat, but Frogstream's expression was already blank again. She flicked her tail over her apprentice's shoulder, clearly encouraging her to go back to the group. I was still thinking about whether Aquastar could actually have killed a cat.

It was a possibility.

"Come on, Bottom Feeders," Shadefang meowed, whisking his tail from where he stood with all the other cats who were ready to travel to the gathering.