Interlude - Ripplepaw

Interlude

Ripplepaw was running, but she had no idea where to go.

Everything was slowly falling apart before her eyes. She couldn't help replaying that scene over and over again in her mind, trying to find any way to justify what her littermate had just done. But each time, it made less since. Each time, Ferretpaw was the murderer, looming above Flowerpaw's feebly twitching flanks.

I should have spent more time with her. But after what happened to mom, I needed time to heal too...

"Oof!"

Ripplepaw's steady momentum forward was suddenly cut short as she rammed into another furry shape. Both cats rolled, before Ripplepaw crashed against a stalactite, and the breath was driven out of her. Her pure white paws twitched, as though she was still running.

After several heartbeats, Ripplepaw finally managed to stumble to her paws. Her pelt, which she usually kept clean and soft, was matted, and brown, with grit getting stuck in her curls. She was also aware of blood running down her face. She touched her ear, and winced in pain.

"Woah, sorry!" The cat meowed. Ripplepaw glanced up at the cat she had collided with.

Littlepaw. Oh StarClan, she's Ferretpaw's best friend. What do I say to her...? 'Hey, your buddy's a ruthless killer?'

"Are you good?" Littlepaw's amber eyes were round as she padded towards Ripplepaw.

She began rasping her tongue along Ripplepaw's shoulder, where a particularly sharp piece of stone had been lodged in. Ripplepaw stared down at the ground as the Bottom Feeder worked, feeling uncomfortable. It's their job to look after the camp, and do the less favourable tasks, so why do I feel as though it's part of what led Ferretpaw astray...

"Stop it!" She snapped suddenly as Littlepaw tried to climb up the back of her pelt to get the blood and dust off of her ear.

Littlepaw didn't wince, but Ripplepaw saw hurt glittering in the depths of her gaze as she crouched submissively at Ripplepaw's paws. She suddenly remembered how Mistpaw had left to join GladeClan, and how much she had wanted his approval. How much she had wanted another cat to care for her. And Littlepaw just has my mean sister as a friend...

But I'm the mean one. StarClan, it's all my fault.

"You can get up," Ripplepaw meowed to Littlepaw, a bit more haughtily than she meant to. The truth was, she was on the brink of tears.

Littlepaw obliged, but her eyes were still glittering. Ripplepaw suddenly wondered if she wasn't feeling hurt, but rather afraid. The little brown cat's pelt was ruffled, and she kept glancing to and fro as though expecting Ferretpaw to pop out of one of the tunnels and pad up to the both of them.

"What happened back there, Ripplepaw?" Littlepaw asked softly.

Ripplepaw realised that her legs weren't holding herself up anymore. In fact, her entire body felt as limp as the fish she had caught at sunhigh. She felt her body give way as she collapsed to the ground, using the last of her strength not to knock her head against the hard stone below her. Her breath was coming out in short gasps, and the world seemed to be spiralling away from her.

Littlepaw's eyes widened, but then, she took a deep breath, and settled down beside Ripplepaw, placing her tail gently along her friend's back. She turned so that her amber eyes, which seemed too big for her little face, were facing Ripplepaw's own.

"Hey," she whispered quietly, holding Ripplepaw's gaze. "You're in shock. Take some deep breaths; nothing's coming to attack you. I'm here for you."

Ripplepaw tried to stop sucking in breaths like a fish out of water, and slowing down her breathing. Gradually, the swirling black spots dissipated, and she was fully aware of the cool, damp stone under her and Littlepaw's gaze. Still, her heart felt as though it was going to rip itself out of her chest. Then, she realised that her jaws were opening and closing, and everything was rushing out.