Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I slunk through the shadows towards camp, heart hammering in my chest. My paws scarcely made any noise as I glided seamlessly across the forest floor. Thunder cracked over my head, making my fur stand on end.

"How was it?" A black tom seemed to materialise from within the darkness of night.

"As expected," I muttered, not looking up at him.

Shadefang kept pace with me, though his bulky form caused more noise. His paws thumped along the earth, and bushes rustled. He kept staring at me with a certain look, as though he saw exactly through my facade. As though he knew exactly what I was trying to hide from myself.

"Two wolves gone. One missing, the other dead. Two injuries by the caves due to the spice's fierce nature. The sea seems to be receding, while the ocean tides rise faster than ever." Finally, I glanced up at Shadefang. "You know what's coming."

He looked away, eyes training on something that seemingly only he could see. For a long while, the only sounds that could be heard were the cracks of lightning and booms of thunder overhead, the mounting tides crashing against rocks in the distance, and the occasional mournful hooting of an owl. At last, when the walls of ShoreClan camp came into sight, Shadefang spoke.

"We knew that we couldn't hide forever. These past five days have been a small mercy, a moment to shelter and recover before the true storm begins."

I nodded grimly. "We've managed to get several to join the Sea Wolves. It will be essential for when the big battle occurs, which it will, any day now."

The camp was now clearly in sight. I watched as Puddle, Baypelt, and a she-cat I didn't know paced around the perimeter. It wouldn't be long before we were spotted.

"Hold on, a moment, will you Ferretpaw?" Shadefang meowed. "I hunted before coming to find you. That way they won't think it suspicious for us to return so late."

Before I could reply, the black tom hurtled into the bushes. I turned back to camp, inhaling a scent akin to that of rotting wood. And the salty tang of the sea. A sudden bolt of lightning split the sky, illuminating the terror plastered on Puddle's face as he surveyed the perimeter for threats.

"Here."

I glanced up as Shadefang deposited a plump brown vole at my paws. He was holding a rather scrawny mouse between his jaws. As I bent down to pick up the prey, Shadefang rested his tail on my back.

"Don't be too risky," he murmured softly in my ear.

I nodded and picked up the prey. Together, the two of us made our way towards the barrier.

Shadefang exhaled heavily. "Honestly, Ferretpaw, the way you talk these days is like that of an experienced warrior, preparing for their last battle. Don't take everything on yourself."

I gave him a look. "Not planning on it, but some cat's gotta step up," I meowed shortly. "Besides, you're only like what...eight moons older than me?"

"Exactly." Shadefang nodded as though this proved his point. Then, he turned to me and smiled weakly. "Why do I have a feeling that today is going to be a wild day?"

I grinned. Perhaps it was fatigue finally getting to me, or perhaps I had stopped worrying about what Dewstar did to me, but I meowed, "maybe it will be. Things are going to go wild sooner or later."

Shadefang lifed his chin, flicked his tail over my back once more, then made briskly towards the border. He exchanged several short remarks with Baypelt before the warrior drew back, and allowed Shadefang to pass through the border.