Chapter 1

Perhaps he should've taken the bloody offer from Cipher. Had he known she would've turned to his idiotic brother, he might've contemplated taking the deal. He hadn't been interested in the story the woman had made as to why she was asking for his help, he'd known it wasn't the truth. And even though she hadn't made it clear upon making the request what parts he'd be going after, he knew it wouldn't be something good.

Trust Owen not to think and just go in and get himself hurt. He'd heard about him being in hospital nearly a week after it had all happened, not even having known Cipher had gone to him with her offer next until he'd done some digging. Not that he really talked much with his siblings, definitely not Hattie. Owen, well he hadn't seen or spoken to in a few months. They didn't really interact unless they happened to cross paths, which pretty much meant never.

Or like the current situation, when he'd dropped by the military hospital they had his brother kept in. Dealing with the security had been a piece of cake, giving him some time to talk even if his younger brother wasn't aware of his words, maybe couldn't hear him. Departing the room with one warning to the nurses cowering by the wall to ensure his brother remained in good care. No doubt they trusted the warning, and would keep working on trying to help Owen recover.

Owen might have been an idiot to accept the deal with Cipher which had lead to this whole mess, but he was still his brother. And the people that had left him in that condition were going to pay. He didn't care what it took. They'd all pay.

~ ~ ~

Luke Hobbs was the typical alpha. As soon as he'd returned to his office and noticed Shaw at his computer, he's been posturing, whether intentional or not. Didn't even need to be able to smell him for anyone to know he was an alpha.

'' Just one sec. '' He's saying in response to Hobb's clearing his throat, a hand raising as his gaze remains on the screen. It had been easy sneaking in as soon as they'd all left the office, not that they'd been paying any attention in the first place. The question was, how long would it take for his presence to be noticed?

He'd heard the door shut, not paying any mind even as the footsteps had briefly stopped halfway to the room. And then again, just outside the door, the pause of a man going to pull a gun to be ready for a fight. A pity for Hobbs that the man had left his gear right beside Deckard.

As his words go ignored, Shaw doesn't respond at first, still going through the files and downloading onto the USB. Ignoring whatever rant Hobbs was spouting off as his gaze remains on the computer, he's watching the last file he needed being downloaded to the drive before he finally makes his purpose known.

The lie Hobbs provides almost draws an amused snort from him as he pulls the USB free, holding it up as he agrees with what his friend had said earlier He really was a horrible liar. Finally turning to the man as he tucks the USB away into his pocket, out of sight and unlikely to be dislodged during the incoming fight. Hobbs might have managed to hide the reaction, but it had been there, briefly. The slight hint of surprise at hearing Shaw had been nearby while he and his friend had been talking, completely unnoticed by either of them.

~ ~ ~

As soon as the man had announced going after the team that crippled his brother, Luke had known who the targets were. He hadn't realised Shaw had a brother, didn't expect anything to pop up regarding that particular event. He'd need to do some digging after this, see if there was any chance of anyone else coming after them about Owen.