Chapter Five

Iz's POV

Bruno parks in the lot at the rear of La Vie. He gets out of the car and walks around the other side to open the door for me. He offers me his hand, I take it and get out of the car. I take a moment to make sure everything is in place and then we walk into the back door hand in hand. He squeezes my hand and I feel a smile come across my face. We really haven't been out in a long time...

When we get to our private booth Cristina and Jose are already there with their drinks looking over the menu. Cristina looks up and sees me.

"Izziah!" She scoots out of her seat and rushes to give me a squeeze. She is still shorter than me like she's always been...it's kinda funny that she hasn't grown since senior year. But otherwise she is exactly the same. She looks at me and a bright smile comes across her face; her eyes light up. She has her hair in a cute up do, letting her curls do their own thing. I've always love the way her hair looks naturally. She is wearing a teal cocktail dress that is about the same length as mine. She still tiny, the same way she was in high school. Still a size zero waist and five feet tall. She is rocking a pair of black pumps similar to mine but with me wearing heels too she is still shorter than me. I give her a squeeze.

"Hi! I love your dress!"

"Thanks!" She greets Bruno with a quick hug and I give Jose a quick hug. The four of us sit down, Bruno and I order our drinks.

"So how was your day with your Hawaiian Lion?" She asks her eyes flickering over to Bruno for a moment. I feel heat rush to my cheeks; I hope Bruno isn't looking, I can't believe she just said that in front of him! His leg nudges mine as he looks at me, he smiles.

"Umm...it was good...I got some work done too." I take a sip of my tri-berry lemonade. I sit back coming my hair out of my face with my fingers. Bruno talks to Jose about music and how King the Kid, his band is doing. In the middle of all the conversation, I look up and see Devi standing at the table. She looks at Bruno for a moment then she awkwardly clears her throat.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I apologize for the interruption but I'm Devon and I will be your server for this evening. " Bruno looks up at her, listening. "Does Bruno and um...all the others, Iz and umm...you guys know what drinks you want...'cuz I can get you drinks 'cuz you know it's my job. I mean...yeah. You know that, you guys are customers and I am the waiter so obviously I am the one getting your food..." Devi bites her lip for a moment and begins to laugh awkwardly.

"Umm.. Devi." I pause, "We already have our drinks..." Devi bites her lip, she laughs louder. I look around the table everyone seems to be frozen, no one knows what to say.

"Yeah! Hah duh of course you have drinks. I'm so um...silly. So food? Have you guys thought about food? Um...like appetizers or...entrees...or yeah well food?" She taps her pen on her pad quickly as her hand fidgets and she stares at the floor.

"Umm...I'm not really sure yet, Bruno, you ready to order?" I say.

"I'm not sure yet either." 

"I'll have today's special." Jose says.

"I'll have my usual, thanks Devon." Cristina says with a smile.

"Any time! I'll put that order in on the chef. I'll be back to see what everyone else wants."

"Oh and thank you." Bruno says as he smiles at Devi. Her eyes go wide and she stares at him, her jaw drops.

"Oh my gosh you actually sound like a God. And I...actually said that out loud...So I'll be going now. Enjoy." She walks away with her face in her hands. There is no doubt that she is bright red, full of embarrassment. Devi hurries back to the kitchen as though she is in a hurry. I giggle, catching my look Cristina does the same and Jose laughs a little too.