2: The Boy With Blue Eyes

Immortan Joe's soldiers-I mean- war boys, took us to a place called the vault. There we were kept for Immortan to observe. I shudder still every time I think about it. He exploited us, inspected us like we were a pretty piece of jewelry that he was looking to purchase. He did unspeakable things to us that were beyond my comprehension of evil. I felt humiliated, used, like I would never be able to look at my own body the same again. We were branded with Joe's symbol at the back of our necks. I remember the searing, terrible pain that ripped through my tender flesh. I hated Immortan Joe with every fiber of my being. I could see that the other girls hated him too, by the fiery rage that laced their eyes when they looked at him. Immortan referred to us as "Breeders". The word made me feel sick to my stomach as he spoke it. I knew now that he wanted a handful of healthy breeders for himself, to give him a strong male ere. The entire time I was there, I wanted to escape, or die, whichever came first. The one-armed girl was taken away only a few days after we arrived, and I don't know what happened to her. I guess Immortan did not want a damaged wife. Watching her go was like watching the last piece of my homeland be ripped away from me. I cried for her that night, thinking that she would be murdered like the others.

Meanwhile, I was getting sicker. My fevers came more frequently, and my breaths rattled into my lungs like they didn't want the air I gave them. Immortan noticed this, no matter how much I tried to hide my struggles. I pleaded with them to let me go, I promised I would never come back, I would not even stay any where near the Citadel. Neither Immortan nor his soldiers listened to me as I was dragged out of the vault, The last group of still-healthy women called for me, even though they didn't know my name, tears streaming down their cheeks. They knew I was the last girl to be taken, and now they only had each other. I echoed their cries, thinking that this would be the end of me.

    "Do what you wish with that one." Immortan growled towards us as I the vault's door closed. The sound echoed in my ears like a gunshot.

I was taken to a set of winding tunnels. People eyed me as we passed them, but didn't say a word. Did they oppose what was happening to me? I was, after all, a child. A child with tattered clothes and dried tears staining her dirty face. Did they even care? What kind of sick world to I live in?

    Everything got dimmer and dimmer with every step. I had stopped struggling long ago, just went limp, all my hope had been taken from me. I was going to die, and I had finally accepted it. Maybe, I had thought, I would see my mother again.

I heard a group of voices, all sounding male. Accompanying it was the clomping of boots and the clang of metal on metal. I was dropped to the cold hard floor, but hardly cared. I slumped against the nearest wall, awaiting my death.

But it did not come.

The war boy who brought me here melted into a crowd if other war boys, who were laughing and pushing each other around. Some where tinkering with engines or welding together slabs of metal. Confusion filled my body, why haven't they killed me? Where was I?

One of the oldest war boy I have seen so far, around thirty, approached me. Despite my will to die, a burst of fear sent me scrambling backwards to get away. The war boy did not have sympathy in his eyes, just stared down at me with indifference and mild disgust, "Immortan Joe is going to let ya live," he began, looking as if he would not have made the same decision, "but on one condition, you are going to work for us." he made a gesture to the crowd of boys behind him, "You will do things like washing cars, or setting up blood bags, or cleaning weapons and loading them with bullets for us."

I was going to live. I was counting on being killed, on being reunited with mother and yet they had taken that from me as well. Then they tell me I was going to act as a servant to these war boys. I was only but a thing to them, a reject of Immortan Joe. This was what I was going to do for the rest of my days. I hung my head again, too sick and weak to fight anymore. If I had the strength I would have attempted to claw this war boy's eyes out.