3: Little Girl to War Girl

I hated the older War Boys. They were always so horrible to me. They ordered me around, throwing things at me and treating me like I was less than dirt. The first day of my new job, one of the boys called for me, "Oi! Girl! Get over here!" he barked.

I grudgingly strode up to him, my face expressionless.

"Load those guns, and make it quick!"

With a huff, I plopped down to the floor, in front of a variation of guns and a pile of rusted bullets. Were any of these the guns that murdered any of the women in the trailer? Or even perhaps in my homeland? Anger boiled beneath my skin as I tried to load the guns. I hadn't known the first thing about guns, not even a clue where the bullets went in. I didn't dare ask for instruction, I didn't want to be punished.

"Hey! What d'ya think you're doing?!" The war boy said furiously from behind me.

I winced, "I..." I began.

"Did I say you could talk?" The man snapped, "You must be really stupid, girl, not knowing how to properly load a gun!" He ripped the pistol from my hands, dumping the bullets out of it with annoyance.

Hot, reckless anger coursed through my veins, "Its not my fault I don't know how!" I retorted.

The man whirled on me, his eyes blazing with anger. For a brief moment, I thought that maybe I shouldn't have said anything. I just hated being treated like I was nothing more than a stupid little girl. He didn't say a word to me, just slapped me hard across the face.

I saw stars, my head snapping to one side. I stumbled back and fell to the floor, surprise and confusion filling me. Then the fury returned, now even more concentrated than before. I hurled myself to my feet almost as quickly as I had went down, "How dare you?!" I snarled, my hands balled into fists at my sides, "Don't ever touch me!" I shouted, knocking the gun from his hands with a swipe of my hand.

He was too shocked at my actions to say anything, and I didn't want to see his reaction, so I ran off. As I skidded around the corner, I met Nux, who had apparently seen the whole thing. I could see the color had risen in his cheeks beneath the paint, I assumed it was from working.

"I think I found ya a new name," he stated brightly.

I blinked at him questioningly.

"Feral,"

A smile danced across my lips. The way I had lashed out at the war boy did remind me of that of a wild animal. The name seemed to remind me that I wasn't meant to be trapped here. It spoke of freedom a determination, it felt right. I was no longer the innocent girl who was taken from a pure land, I was strong, I was Feral.

I tried my best to be good after that, and none of the war boys tried hitting me again. I just assumed they would make my life hell if I behaved that way. I wanted to be on their good side as much as I possibly could, so that they may give me more privileges. I hadn't been outside in months, and I was loosing the color in my skin more and more every day. I was almost as pale as the war boys, despite the fact I wasn't painted.

I watched the young war pups being trained sometimes, being taught how to repair engines and the value of guzzaline. I lingered in the back of the lessons for as long as I could, until someone noticed me and shouted at me to get away. I despised the way Immortan had things set up, but I was envious of the war boys. I longed to be as free as them, to be able to go out and hurl through the desert lands at hundreds of miles per hour. I was trapped in the caves the war boys resided in. I was destined to be their maid until I took my last breath. To top it all off, I hated nothing more than cleaning. I had always managed to sneak out of my home when my mother asked me to clean. Now that I was in charge of cleaning after the war boys, I would take back those chores any day. The boys didn't care if they spilled things, they didn't care that I would be working myself to the bone after they made a mess. I hated it more and more every day.