10: The Mothers

I awoke to the horrible sound of a woman screaming. I bolted upright, knocking against Nux. He grunted, blinking his tired eyes against the brightness of the sun. One by one, the rest of the wives woke up as well, mumbling and rubbing their eyes. I peered out the window, my nerves going haywire within me.

There was a massive metal tower looming over the war rig. It looked odd among the miles and miles of uninteresting sand. I could see the screams were emanating from a naked woman who was stuck at the very top. She was curled up in an awkward position, her dark hair flying up in the breeze. It was hard for me to pick out what she was saying because she was so hysterical. I got to my feet and moved to get out of the war rig, but Furiosa caught a hold of the back of my tank top,

"It could be a trap." she warned me, "I'll go," with that, she hopped out of the driver's seat, slowly moving in front of the war rig.

"I am Furiosa!" she called up to the woman, "My mother was..."

Her words were almost drowned out by the shrieking of the woman. I wished she would just stop. My ears ached and my chest hurt from having to listen to it. It reminded me too much of the sound of my mothers dying.

Then, as if she was listening to me, the woman's cries silenced. She put her hand to her mouth and let out a strange call, one that triggered a faint memory in my brain. Then she skillfully climbed down from the tower, as if she wasn't in danger at all in the first place.

The rumble of motorbikes came alive from behind the dunes. My heart sped up, was it the masked men again? My hand slid over to where I kept my gun, fingers touching the cold metal.

Then, people riding the motorbikes rolled into view. Their back tires all sprayed sand out behind them like arcs of water. They all surrounded the naked woman, then removed their helmets and goggles.

My jaw dropped, they were all elderly women. Their white wisps of hair flew in the wind as they gazed at Furiosa. Their wrinkled faces, like that of lizard skin, shone with wisdom. One of them pulled out a shawl and handed it to the nude woman, who wrapped it around herself and turned to face Furiosa. She brought her hand up, touching the back of Furiosa's head and bringing their foreheads together. I could see Furiosa's eyes fill with tears as she returned the gesture. Then they pulled each other in for a tight hug, the elderly women smiling proudly.

I opened the door of the war rig, my voice seemingly evaporated into thin air. The wives followed. I didn't even notice the two boys lingering behind.

As the women saw us, their eyes lit up with happiness. I saw the wives curiously examining the women. They did the same, poking and prodding at the wives' flimsy clothes with soft laughter. When I approached them. Their gazes turned icy for a split second, but then, upon realizing I wasn't a war boy, brought me into their little circle.

"You..." One of the old women began, staring into my eyes.

I gave her a weak smile, knowing she recognized my sea green irises, I was one of them.

She lifted her gnarled hand and put it on my shoulder, "What is your name?" she asked me in her raspy voice.

My smile fell, "I don't remember the name my mother gave me, I was taken from when I was a pup. My name's Feral now." I wished desperately that I could recall my old name. I wanted to be a part of them so badly. There was no denying that all my years with the war boys has changed me.

"Who are the men?" the woman with dark hair asked, a threatening edge to her voice.

I turned around to see Bloodbag and Nux loitering at the side of the rig, looking awkward and hesitant.