Let's Meet Again

"Pawan.... buaji ko lene koi station pahuncha ya nahi? Unki train ka time ho gaya hai." (Pawan... did anyone go to pick Buaji from the station? It's time for her train.) Meera yelled for her nephew as she ran from one place to another.

[Bua - Aunt]

"Ohho bhabhi, shant ho jayiye. Baithiye yahan." (Ohho bhabhi, calm down. Sit here for a minute.) Kalyani said to her.

[Bhabhi - Sister-in-law]

"Are aise kaise aaram se baithu yahan. Eklaute bete ki shadi hai aur ye hain ki baatein karne mein vyast hai. Sab kaam mujhe hi dekhna pad raha hai. Are suniye to zara...." (How can I sit and relax? My only son is getting married and look at my husband who is busy in his conversations. I have to do the entire work alone.) Meera called for her husband, Harshwardhan.

He looked at her while laughing at something that his brother, Chetan said. Harshwardhan had a younger brother and an elder sister. Harshwardhan's wife, Meera was close to her sister-in-law and hence, she couldn't control her excitement as well as her concern. Harshwarshan just grinned seeing her so worked up over nothing. But then again, he was aware of the bond between the two ladies, especially after..... His chain of thoughts was broken when Meera began her rant.

"Are aap ko thodi bhi chinta hai ya nahi? Didi ki train ka time ho gaya hai. Aur sab idhar udhar hain. Unhe lene koi pahuncha ya nahin waha? Anjaan sheher mein pareshan ho jayengi wo." (Do you even care or not? Didi's train will be arriving soon. And everyone is roaming here and there. Did anyone go to fetch her or not? She'll be troubled in this unknown city) Meera said in a single breath.

Harshwardhan pulled her hand as she sat on the armrest of the chair he was sitting on.

"Are shant ho jaiye, bhagyawan. Didi ko lene Pawan chala gaya hai adhe ghante pehle. Ab aap zara chain ki saans lijiye. Sab ho jayega time par." (Just calm down, wifey. Pawan already left half an hour ago to get her. Now, you just take a deep breath. Everything will be fine.) He tried to calm his wife. Meera just stared at her husband with her mouth agape and then hid her blush.

"Kuchh sharm hai ya nahi? Ghar mein jawan bete ki shaadi hai.. aur aap aise sabke samne...." (Don't you have any shame? Your young son is getting married... and here you are...) She stopped as she turned red with shyness.

"Jawan bete ki shaadi hai to kya? Ab apni biwi ka hath bhi nahi pakad sakta kya?" (So what if my son is getting married? Can't I hold my wife's hand, now?) He teased her and all the others laughed at their conversation.

Just then, they heard their son, Rajeev, talking aggressively with someone on the call. They almost got up with worry and then smiled after hearing his words.

"Mujhe kuchh bakwas nahi sunni hai tum logo ki. You are coming. That's it. Aur ye business ka bahana mujhe mat bata samjha. Are at least send Uncle and Aunty here, aur haan bhabhi ko bhi bhej de. Saale... tu baitha reh apne ghatiya se office mein... You are coming.... I don't care how... warna main shadi nahi karunga... Bas....Bol ab... chup kyun ho gaya..." (I don't want to listen to any of your nonsense. You are coming. That's it. And don't tell me this 'business' excuse. At least send Uncle and Aunty here, and yes, Bhabhi too. Rascal... you keep sitting in that rotten office of yours... You are coming.... I don't care how.... or I am not getting married at all... That's it.... Speak up.... Why are you so silent now?) He kept on rambling like a child and everyone paused to see the 'groom' talking to his best friend like a 5-year old.

"Abe gaaliyan dena band to na kuchh bolunga." (I can speak only if you'll stop cursing me.) Ashish answered from the door as he put his bags down.

Rajeev ran down the stairs and engulfed him in a hug.

"Kitna nautanki hai yar tu. Maine bas mazak mein bola aur tere to muh band hi nahi hua fir." (You are so dramatic, man. I just said it jokingly and you didn't shut your mouth.) Ashish pulled Rajeev's leg and Rajeev just smacked him.

"Tu hi itna ghatiya ho sakta hai ki apne dost ki shadi ke baad bhi mazak kar raha hai." (Only you can be so mean that you are joking even at the time of your friend's wedding.) Rajeev taunted him and ran straight to Ashish's parents while Ashish's wife, Sanjana just smiled seeing his antics.

"Aunty aap hi samjha lo apne bete ko ki aisi harkatein chhod de..." (Aunty, you yourself tell your son to stop such behavior) Rajeev said as he hugged Ashish's mother, Damini.

"Are hum to thak gaye samjha kar... ab tum hi nipto apne is dost se..." (Even we are tired now... You deal with this friend of yours...) Ashish's father, Neeraj said from behind.

Meera and Harshwardhan went to greet them.

Harshwardhan and Neeraj were school friends, then went to same college. The two families were really close. Naturally, their families were close. 

"Chachi... buaji bhi aa gayi... are Ashish Bhaiya aap aa gaye." (Chachi... buaji is here... Ashish Bhaiya, you also came..) Pawan ran straight to Ashish.

As soon as Meera heard these words she ran to her sister-in-law, Abha. To say that everyone was shocked would be understatement. The entire house went quiet as their gaze fell on the timid girl standing next to her mother.

"Vaani... bachche..." (Vaani... my child...) Meera hugged the girl with tear-filled eyes. Vaani was a bit nervous after seeing her relatives after a long time but that nervousness went out of the window after that hug.

Rajeev couldn't stop himself as he went towards her. He kept standing still for a few minutes, unsure of how he should react as he didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. Vaani understood his concern as she whispered quietly, "Hello, Bhaiya."

[Bhaiya - Elder Brother]

That was it as Rajeev pulled her into a tight embrace. Vaani smiled in his embrace. Everyone just smiled as Abha gently wiped her tears. Harshwardhan went to his sister and brother-in-law as he gave his sister a side-hug, "It's okay, didi. It's all gonna be okay now." Abha just nodded as her gaze was fixed on the siblings.

"I missed you so so much, meri bachche..." (I missed you so so much, kiddo...) Rajeev said as tears ran down his face.

Vaani wiped his tears with shaky hands as she looked around at everyone else. Pranjal, Pawan's elder sister, just waved at her and Vaani waved back.

But Ashish and his family just kept standing in silence seeing the scene in front of them. They weren't sure how to greet Vaani but at the same time, Neeraj could see his wife, wiping her tears and he, himself, just looked up at the sky to thank every God up there. 

Ashish breathed in relief as he saw Vaani after an eternity. The girl in front of him was frail and timid, nothing like a girl he knew, nothing like the girl with whom her brother fell in love with... yet... she was the same...

As if remembering the same fact, Ashish's eyes widened as he realized that possibility of Sagar seeing Vaani. But before he could do anything, he heard a voice.

"Here are the car keys, Bhai...." Sagar said to his brother in gruff voice but stopped dead in his tracks as he saw the girl standing in front of him.

"Vaani...." He said shakily.

HEY EVERYONE. THIS STORY WAS IN MY MIND FOR A REALLY LONG TIME. I HOPE YOU ALL WILL ENJOY IT. ENJOY AND LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.