You Are Not Alone

Sagar stood there barely breathing as he stared at Vaani while Vaani turned to look at him having a confused look on her face and then turned to look at her family

"I am sorry beta, but she has no recollection of her past."

'Of course, how can I forget that she doesn't remember who I am.' Sagar thought bitterly.

Sagar's mother recognized the look on her son's face and her heart broke. Sagar's father was the one who broke the silence first as he called for his son. Sagar went to him with a passive face.

Meanwhile, Vaani's mother took her inside but not before looking at Sagar, sadly.

"Harsh, I think it would be better for us to stay at a hotel." Sagar's father said to avoid the awkwardness of the situation.

Rajeev stood there torn. The truth is they didn't expect Vaani to actually agree on coming to the wedding. After all, wedding itself was a sore spot for her.

"Sagar, I am so sorry about this. I don't even know what to say to you at the moment." He tried to handle the situation but failed miserable.

By now, Rajeev's mother was standing right next to Sagar as she saw the tear-filled eyes of the young lad.

"Sagar.... if you were there, could you have stopped this?" She said in a tender yet firm voice.

Sagar turned to look at her, shocked by her question.

"If she ever got hurt while I'm there with her.... then I must be dead because no harm will ever come to her as long as I am alive." Sagar said with a burning determination and the others could just stare at him, wide-eyed.

"Then maybe you will be able to bring the old Vaani back." Meera said, shocking everyone further.

"Maa, what do you mean by that... you know exactly what the doctor told us.. yet you are...." Rajeev tried to form coherent sentence but couldn't put his feelings to words.

"Rajeev, Vaani is like a daughter to me... just like you. I know that what I am saying might seem impractical. But we can consult the doctor, too. Of course, the pulling the thorn hurts, but that doesn't mean that we never let it out. Just hear me out. It's enough already. The poor girl is suffering so much for the past years." Meera tried to explain her point but still everyone was not sure about how the situation would turn out.

"You are right, aunty... but...." Sagar was now all confused.

"She is right." Abha was now back in the hall after leaving Vaani with her cousins.

"Sagar, sometimes we need to take the bitter medicines to cure ourselves. Maybe this is the bitter medicine Vaani needs. I know you all must be thinking about how absurd this sounds but I am a mother. I can't see my daughter like this. Barely living. She doesn't talk, she rarely smiles, she is always lost somewhere far away that I have call her name twice-thrice to get back her attention. So, as a mother I have all the right in the world to hang on to the last sliver of hope." Abha said as she held Sagar's arm to steady herself. Sagar immediately held her as he could understand her desperation.

Every parent in the world wishes to see their daughter adorning the bright red wedding lehenga... but what they want the most.. is seeing their child being happy with this beautiful union. The bond between Sagar and Vaani was the same. Both the families were over the moon whenever they saw their children being so happy together. And as for Vaani's brother Rohit, he was reluctant at first and did deliver his share of punches on the face of his future, brother-in-law, he eventually accepted their relationship.

"If that's the case, then we are going to call the doctor right now." Sagar said in a determined voice.

"Sagar, are you sure?" Ashish asked his younger brother. He never told his parents about how many times he has found his brother sitting in a corner of the nearby temple, just staring at the idol. Not blinking. Not moving. He wanted Vaani to get better soon, how can he not? But he never wanted to lose his baby brother in the process. Only he knows how hard it was to drag him back from that black void.

"Yes. I am sure. I couldn't do anything then. But now.... now when she is in front of me... I am not going to let her suffer like this.... all alone.. being so lost..." Sagar said and pulled his phone from his pocket.

He already had the contact number of the doctor as he often called him to get updates of Vaani's health.

"Hi Sagar, it's been a while. How are you?" 

"I am good, Doctor Jain. I wanted your suggestion on something." Sagar mentally prepared himself because he was so sure that the doctor was going to deny..... just like last time.

"Yeah... go ahead..."

"Doctor, I want to talk to Vaani..." Sagar began.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say. Tell me clearly." 

"I want to go in front of her." Sagar dropped the bomb.

"Sagar you know how dangerous that is.... her condition might worsen...." 

"She is taking the medicines and treatment for over two years now. But answer me honestly... is her condition improving? No. Her condition is just stable... neither deteriorating nor improving ... you don't call that good, right? Give me a chance, Doc. As a doctor, even you know that there are always exceptions. Even in medical field, there are miracles. Let me take this chance... let me be with her... You told me that she'll be fine and I stepped back. It's been 3 years and still she's living like. She is not supposed to stay so quiet.... she never was...." Sagar broke into a sob. This was overbearing for him.

"Alright Sagar. But are you taking responsibility for her health? What if it worsens her condition?" 

"Never.... I know it.... She is strong and so am I. We'll face this now, together... I won't be leaving her alone to suffer anymore." Sagar said in a strong voice.

"Very well. Then, you'll be updating me with her health, regularly. And there will be no leniency towards her medications and therapies."

"Not a chance. I'll make sure that she leaves no appointment. Thank you so much, Doctor. Thank you so much." Sagar said gratefully as he disconnected the call.

"What did the doctor say?" Everyone looked at him expectantly.

"The doctor agreed." He said in a confident voice as he stared at the silhouette of Vaani in the room upstairs.

I am coming, Love. Just stay strong. 

HELLO, MY DEARS. HERE IS THE UPDATE. I KNOW THAT IT'S VERY LATE AND I DO APOLOGIZE FOR GHOSTING YOU ALL. BUT I AM BACK AND I'LL SINCERELY TRY TO BE MORE CONSISTENT WITH THE UPDATES. 

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE. LOVE YOU ALL. ❤️