Strong Will

Sagar was now determined to make things easier for Vaani even if she can't remember him.

So, immediately he went to his father as he said sincerely, "Dad, you will introduce me to Vaani tomorrow morning. I specifically want you to introduce me personally to her. And if... if she panics or something happens.... you all are going to tell her that we were friends... that's it. We'll take it slow." 

Everyone was shocked seeing the confidence in his eyes. 

His brother moved forward as he put his hand on Sagar's shoulder, "I am so proud of you, brother. Don't worry, we'll do everything that we can. It's about time."

Sagar placed his palm on his brother's hand on his shoulder, as he just nodded his head in gratitude.

Everyone decided to call it a night as they retired to bed.

The next morning was a bit different for everyone else as it brought a new ray of hope.

Sagar's gaze was fixed on the staircase as he waited for Vaani to wake up. His heart stopped when he saw Vaani coming down with her elder sister. 

For the first time in all these years, he noticed her truly. She had lost weight but she wasn't weak. Her face was pale but still she was looking beautiful like before. The change was in her eyes. The eyes which always sparkled were now dead and dull. She was smiling but that smile didn't reach her eyes. Sagar's heart was shattered to see her timid and calculated movements. 

He got up suddenly as it became too much to him. He burning with rage but still he took a deep breath and calmed himself down. 

Vaani joined everyone for the breakfast and Rajeev himself subtly nodded at Ashish to start the conversation.

"Vaani, meet Ashish. He is my best friend." Rajeev introduced Ashish as Vaani waved at him.

Ashish's heart melted seeing that small, timid smile on Vaani's face. Sanjana held his hand silently as Ashish began, "Hi Vaani, as he said, I am Ashish. This is my wife, Sanjana. These are my parents, Mr. Neeraj and Mrs. Damini Trivedi."

Vaani joined her hands as she greeted them all with namaste, "Namaste, uncle and aunty." Vaani said in a small yet steady voice.

Abha and Rajesh just sat shell-shocked as Pranjal squealed with delight, "You did it, Vaani." Pranjal hugged her younger sister and Vaani beamed.

"She spoke." Pawan whispered in shock as Vaani grinned at him, proudly.

Everyone cheered as Abha wiped her happy tears. Vaani moved towards Abha as she said, "Mumma, I did.... good..... right?" She asked and Abha just hugged her tight.

"Of course, you did, my baby." She kissed Vaani's forehead.

By now, Sagar was back in the room as looked at the shocked faces of everyone. Sagar just had a conversation with Dr. Jain to be extra cautious for his first conversation with Vaani after a long time as Dr. Jain told him to pay attention to Vaani's body language.

Neeraj noticed his son standing in the hall as he decided that now, it was his turn. 

"Uh Vaani beta, meet my son, Sagar." He said in strong voice, trying to hide the hesitance. As a father himself, he loved both Sagar and Vaani equally, which literally meant that he was concerned for her, too.

Vaani looked at Sagar as she continued to stare at him for a while.

Sagar's heart was in his throat as he was looking closely to see any sign of discomfort or anything but to his surprise, he didn't notice anything.

Unexpectedly, Vaani smiled politely as she waved at Sagar, "Hello..... Sagar...." She said a bit hesitantly, as she was still trying to steady her speech. But for Sagar.... he stood frozen.

Vaani looked at Sagar with confusion as he finally managed to say, "Hi Vaani."

Vaani smiled as she turned towards her family and Sagar for the first time in so many years, smiled, genuinely smiled.

Sagar went to sit near his family as Vaani everyone got busy in the discussion about the wedding. 

Every once in a while, Sagar glanced at Vaani to make sure that she was okay and not feeling uncomfortable with being in the same room as him. To his relief, she was completely fine. His mind drifted to what the doctor had told him.

"In the end, it all depends on Vaani. Because only she can bring herself out of this. We can just help her."

Rajeev looked at Vaani as he asked her if she is going to dance in his wedding, to which she just shook her head and looked down. 

Rajeev sat with a guilty expression as he felt as if he pushed her a bit too much. Sagar nodded at him.

"Papa, I am going to go get some ice-cream, you all want some?" Sagar tried to divert the topic.

Neeraj just smiled, "No, you go and enjoy."

Vaani asked Sagar, "I am sorry, but have we met before?" and Sagar prayed all the gods to give him strength.

"Uh.... we... we...." He stammered but Vaani spoke again, "Did we study in same college?" 

Sagar breathed a sigh of relief, "Um... yes, we studied in the same college..." 

Pranjal knew that things will get out of hands soon, so she decided to intervene.

"Pawan, let us all go and have ice-cream, right? You were asking us earlier. Sagar, is it okay if we join you?" Pranjal asked as Sagar immediately agreed.

"How about... all us cousins go together?" Rajeev asked like a kid and the elders facepalmed.

"You are getting married in three days. Stop acting like a kid now." Ashish told his best friend and the latter just stuck out his tongue at him.

The younger ones burst out laughing as finally all four cousins including the two brothers went out to eat ice-cream.

Sagar as well as Rajeev kept a close eye on Vaani as they could see her a bit uncomfortable in the dark.

"Vaani, do you want to go back inside?" Rajeev asked softly and she just shook her head.

It seemed like the younger girl has decided to step out of her shell, slowly but surely.

They were walking down the road to the nearby ice-cream parlor with the two girls in the front and the boys walking behind them. Pranjal was doing a great job in keeping Vaani distracted and having conversations with her.

An elderly couple went on their bike, and Vaani shrunk towards Pranjal in surprise. The boys caught upto them and Vaani smiled nervously at them all.

"I was... startled." She spoke in a low-voice but Sagar could see the tears of frustration in her eyes and he hated seeing her like that.

They started walking again but this time, Sagar was on the outer-side while Vaani was walking with Pranjal on the inner-side of the road.

They reached the ice-cream parlor and everyone ordered their favorite ice-creams. Vaani took hers as she sat on the chair inside. Ashish was busy teasing Rajeev and Pawan just joined him. Sagar was messaging the doctor telling him about the progress, and Pranjal just sat their shaking her head on the childish behavior of the men in front of her.

As they were returning home, Vaani saw a balloon vendor and both Ashish and Pranjal noticed the sparkle in her eyes. They smiled at each as they noticed. Vaani went to Rajeev as she pulled his sleeve.

Rajeev bend a little as Vaani was still shorter than him, "What is it, kiddo?"

Vaani just pointed at the vendor as she looked at him with puppy eyes.

Rajeev laughed as he said, "Just look at me with those puppy eyes and I might even rob a bank for my little sister." 

The gang was back with Vaani smiling gleefully at the balloon while others were just relieved to see her trying to get back to her normal life.