07. 'Til We Meet Again

↳ chapter seven ₊˚

↳ chapter seven ₊˚.༄
[# 'til we meet again]

IVY LET OUT A SMALL SIGH OF RELIEF THE MOMENT SHE STEPPED OUT of the bus. Although the vehicle only held five other strangers, the thought of having to bear their confused stares for a moment longer made her feel nauseous. She tightened her mask once more and aimed for the construction crane nearby.

This time, there was no need to be concerned with the judging eyes of strangers, the dark sky reassuring her enough. She walked along the machine and stood by Spider-Noir, observing the building that held the very reason why they had found themselves in a parallel New York.

A beam of red light came from Peni's robot as the girl started to explain the inner workings of the building. "Kingpin has a private elevator entrance from his penthouse to the collider below."

"Didn't count on having an audience," the man beside Ivy commented.

Right by the main entrance of the building were a group of people, high end people, she presumed. From a distance, it was difficult to notice what anyone was doing, but the constant flashes told her just enough. The group swung over to the roof of the building, which, lucky for them, was made out of glass.

Ivy peered into the room and beneath her mask, her jaw dropped.

"You gotta be kidding me," everyone said in sync.

The entire floor was decorated with Spider-Man banners, groups of people sitting by the dozens of round tables. Everything in the room screamed expensive, the classy pillars and the tremendous chandeliers, to the way everyone gathering had dressed. "Thank you. It's nice to be with you this evening to celebrate Spider-Man." Kingpin started his speech of sorts. "He and I were very close."

"What a pig," Gwen scoffed.

Peter Porker turned to her with an offended look. "I'm right here."

"Don't suppose any of you have an idea on how we're gonna blend in?" Ivy changed the subject, glancing between the five of them.

"Hold on. Get a load of how the waiters are dressed." Spider-Noir pointed out.

There was something peculiar about how they were dressed. Spider-Man masks layered with a white button up to appear more chic, a black bow-tie on the front of their collar and fitted black pants.

The monotone coloured man continued, looking at the group uncertainly. "It's in poor taste, but... It can't be that easy."

His words were proven wrong in a matter of minutes. "It's that easy."

Ivy silently agreed as they walked past a number of elegantly dressed people that didn't spare them a single glance. Or, perhaps it wasn't and they had fallen into a trap fashioned precisely for them. Either way, they were one step closer to reaching their home. Well, five of them were, at least. Beneath the table Gwen and Ivy had been pushing was Peni and her robot, the group trying their best to avoid interaction among anyone at the gathering.