Episode 4

*Disclaimer* This chapter is going to be pretty hard to write, since the episode consist of mainly John B and Sarah out at the archives. Obviously I'm not going to have Rain tag along so John B and Sarah can have their moments. The chapter may be pretty short, instead of the usual 4,000-5,000 words. Thanks for reading and enjoy chapter 4!

TW: fighting, mention of domestic violence, Rafe hits Rain in this episode. If this bothers you and you don't want to read this chapter, go to the end of the page where there will be a short summary, where it will be less detailed of what happened. The reason I added Rafe hitting Rain, is to lead up to where Rafe tries to kill Sarah at the end of the season. It was very sudden in the show and I kinda wanted to touch into that side of him.

 The air smells of rain. I know that's weird, but rain has a smell. I'm sure other people can smell it too and I smell rain. The weather on an app on my phone confirms it, there's gonna be a storm. Nothing like Agatha, but a storm nonetheless. Sarah's house comes into view, getting larger and larger as I pull into the driveway. I see Sarah rushing out of the house, a small drop of blood prominent on her white pants.

"You good?" I say and she whips around to face me. She looked shocked as if she didn't see my jeep right in front of her.

"Rain! What are you doing here?" She says, glancing at her car and back towards me.

"Um, I come here every day? Do you have amnesia or something?"

"Rain, I love you. But I have to go,"

"What, are you on the run from someone? Did you kill someone? I'm sure it was a good reason, I can help you," I say, half joking and she chuckles.

"No, not on the run. I just have to be somewhere. I'll be back, I swear," She says and starts backing away from me.

"Okay, where are you going?"

"I love you!" She says and runs to the driver's side of her car. Call me crazy, but I swear I see a man in the passenger seat. I guess she and Topper made up. I shake my head, slightly confused at our interaction.

With Sarah gone, I don't really know what to do with myself. I don't remember the last time I spent a day without Sarah, except for when I had work, which I only have once a week. But a flier for the OBX series drive-in flutters on a pole and it immediately sparks my interest. Me and Sarah used to go all the time. It'll be different without her, but still fun. And I'll just sleep in Sarah's bed until she gets back. 

●~●~●~●~●~

A familiar blonde boy walks out of a fishing shop, his hat backwards and hair fluffed out from the humidity.

"Blondie!" I shout and he doesn't even spare a glance in my direction. "JJ!" I try again and he holts to a stop, a fiery and annoyed look in his eyes.

"What, no hi? Or 'sup?" I joke and he glares at me. "I'm sorry, I don't remember pissing in your cereal this morning, so can you refresh my memory and tell me why you're mad at me."

"Are we supposed to be all buddy-buddy after your boyfriend jumped my boy at the golf course?"

"What are you talking about," I say and his look softens slightly.

"Rafe and Topper jumped Pope when he was delivering groceries. With a golf club, Rain. They bashed his face in. He came back with a bloody and swollen face," I hear his words but they don't connect. I don't even react. I genuinely don't know what to do or say. Part of me wants to defend my boyfriend, say he wouldn't do that, that he's better than that. But I know better than to lie to myself. And I don't want to lie to JJ.

"I didn't know. Me and Rafe aren't on best terms right now so we aren't talking,"

"Are y'all ever actually on good terms?" He accuses and it's my turn to glare at him.