Episode 5

TW: this episode touches on Rafe accidentally hitting Rain and Rain forgiving him for it. This does not mean I'm condoning or romanticizing abuse of any form. Just feel like I should clarify that. Rain is excusing Rafe because she doesn't know what to do, but she won't pardon him forever. 

I see Topper outside, muttering to himself frantically and I slowly walk towards him, like he's a stray dog that could snap any second. He keeps bringing his hands to his head, smacking his forehead. He looks like he's having a genuine psychotic meltdown and I debate even going up to him.

"The stupid bitch fucking deserved it. Sinking my boat like that. Fuck him. Yeah, fuck him," he mutters and I take a step closer. "And now Sarah isn't even here. Where the hell is she? Probably fucking a Pogue." he continues muttering to himself as I walk up behind him, and clear my throat, not wanting him to freak out if I accidentally scare him.

"Hey, Top. You alright there?" I say cautiously and his head whips in my direction. He walks quickly towards me and places his hands on my shoulder, leaning down to my eye level and shaking me lightly.

"Oh, I'm fucking great, Rain. You know, I didn't want to, but my mom made me. And now I have no regrets. This is great. I get my boat back and the fucking prick is in jail," his breath reeks of alcohol and desperation, and I lean my head back as far as I can, away from his face. 

"What the hell are you talking about? What about your boat and who is in jail?" I question, trying to remove his grip from my shoulders.

"The fucking Pogue's man. They sunk my boat to the bottom of the river, but I got payback. I pressed charges against Pope but then JJ confessed. Which you know, even better. Because he is the one that held a gun to my head, you know that Rain?"

"Wait, go back. You put JJ in jail? Tell me JJ is not in jail right now," I say, taking a step back and glaring at him. 

"Oh, I hope his cell is comfy," he says and laughs bitterly.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Topper? You put him in jail? Should I remind you of all the things you fucking did to them? How about trying to drown John B! Or when you and Rafe attacked Pope with a golf club? Or when you almost choked Pope to death?" I yell and shove his shoulder, "God, you are such a fucking pussy! You do whatever the hell you want, to anyone you want, and when things get tough you get the fucking cops to take care of it for you!"

"Oh, look at you, you little fucking Pogue. Take their side, whore,"

"Oh, fuck you, Topper. God, you are a coward. No wonder Sarah doesn't fucking like you! I'm the one who has to listen to how fucking annoying you are! And now I don't fucking blame her. You are a child!"

"The fuck did you just say to me?" he says, taking a step closer, standing over me. 

"What are you gonna do, Top? You gonna drown me? Jump me? Put me in a chokehold. No, because you can't do shit without your little friends to back you up. Prick!" I spit in his face and he glares at me. I head straight to my car and jump in, planning to meet JJ at the police station. If I can help in any way, then I'm going to. 

By the time I get there, the sheriff tells me he is gone. His dad bailed him out and he has court in 2 weeks. I don't blame them for sinking Topper's boat. I'd burn it down if I had the chance. I might just do that, let him buy a new boat, and then take it out in style. The idea of it makes me smile.

An adult woman comes up and motions me to follow her into her office. Her name is Sheriff Peterkin. I haven't had to see her much, but I know of her. 

"Let me ask you something," she says, staring into my eyes. There's something about her that makes me want to spill all my secrets to her and admit to every lie I ever told. "Are you friends with that JJ boy? And all his little friends like John B?"