Chapter 5: The General's Little Healer

A.N: There is a two year jump here, therefore Karina has been working as a Healer in the Little Palace for two years, and is eighteen, Feydor is twenty-one.

'Dear Alina and Mal,

I'm terribly sorry for not responding to your last letter quicker than I have, things have been rather hectic at the Little Palace, with the ongoing war causing more and more people needing Healers. But, I am glad to hear that you two are together again, it always makes me feel better to know you are there to have each other's backs.

Things at the Little Palace are going well. One of the senior Healers is being sent to Caryeva and has asked me to take his position while he is gone. This means that I'll be in charge of one of the major wings of the hospital. I was worried about what some of the other Healers would think, seeing as I have only been there for a few years, but they all seemed to agree with his choice.

Feydor is gone again, and I miss him so much. He is part of the General's inner circle now, which means that he is at the Little Palace more often than before, but it also means that whenever he leaves it's due to some form of emergency, or for a dangerous mission, so I am very worried about him.

However, I think I've finally gotten used to the grander rooms in the Little Palace, and the library is definitely a haven for me, you would love it. I know it's odd to hope to be sent out into the field, but I wish I was, then maybe there would be a chance that I could see you and Mal. I miss you both, now more than ever, seeing as most of my friends are out fighting in the war as well.

Much Love, Karina.'

I signed off the letter to my friends, placing it inside an envelope and leaving it resting on my desk so that I didn't forget to post it to them later. I stood from my desk chair and glanced around my room. The room that I'd been given at the Little Palace was considerably larger than the one I'd inhabited at the school, with a double bed pushed against the wall and a larger cupboard, although we barely needed any clothes other than our keftas.

The bathroom was also just as elaborate, and I knew that I had only received this room because I was in a higher position, having seen a few of the other healers' rooms. I shook myself out of my thoughts and crossed the room, pulling my kefta out of my wardrobe, slipping it around my shoulders, before forcing my feet into my boots.

I glanced at the small clock on the wall, noting that I still had a few minutes before my shift started, so I grabbed my small medical bag and left my room, wandering down the halls. Luckily, all of the healers rooms were quite close to the infirmary, so I didn't have far to walk before I turned the corner and opened the doors to my ward, putting a smile on my face and walking through the doors, smiling at all my fellow healers as I made my way down the ward, checking on everything.

I greeted a few of my friends, before waiting around most of the day, healing a few grisha here and there, who had been injured during training, but nothing particularly interesting going on. I finally sat down for a break with my friends, sitting beside one of the alkemi who had been in my year at school, who was lying in a bed after a particularly bad burn to the side of her face.

There was a loud bang and I looked up to see the doors burst open. "Healer! We need a healer over here!" A young woman in a blue and silver kefta called. I glanced around the ward for a split second, noting that there were only four other healers on this ward at the time, and I was superior to them all, so I stood and quickly rushed over to them.

My breath caught in my throat as I recognised Ivan being held between two etherialki, the heartrenders kefta and shirt having been taken off but his colour remaining red from the blood that covered his chest. "Take him in there, put him on the bed. What happened?" I instructed, before turning to the woman who had called out for a healer. "Fjerdan ambush, something was set off, a bomb or something, we tried everything we could." The woman said, and I nodded, turning to assess who was in the room at the moment.