Chapter 9: Gossip and Organising

"You're only saying that 'cause you're jealous 'Rina." Maria said with a chuckle as I turned to her with my mouth wide in fake shock. "I am not jealous." I said offendedly as Maria, Zoya, and Polina simply laughed at me, making me shake my head gently. "You better watch yourself Pavlishchev, don't forget I know all your secrets." I threatened carefully, making Maria send me a faux glare. "You wouldn't dare." She whispered in shock, and I just shrugged my shoulders, but I couldn't contain my giggles.

Maria had decided to take a break from the school this evening, and had joined Feydor, Ivan, and I at dinner, which made me super happy. On the way out, Polina had come over and started up a conversation and I had introduced her to my school friend. When Maria suggested a girls night we both immediately agreed and I thought it would be nice to invite the squaller I was getting close to as well, which had led to the four of us sitting on Zoya's bed, chuckling at our own stupid jokes.

"Okay, okay." I think that's enough of that." Zoya said with a chuckle as I laid back on her bed, glancing around at my friends, really glad to have them here with me. "Wait, I do have something I need to ask." Maria said suddenly, making us all turn to her with curious looks. "How have your riding lessons with the General been 'Rina?" Maria asked, making my eyes widen as I glanced down at my lap to try and hide the burning of my cheeks.

"The General is giving you riding lessons?" Zoya asked in shock, and I nodded gently, glancing up at my three friends, the etherialki both looking shocked at the news, while the durast simply wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. "Yeah, and they're going well, he says I'm getting better every session." I said quietly, not wanting them to make a bigger deal out of this than it was. The General was simply helping me learn a skill I would need in future while I was in his inner circle.

"Well of course the General thinks you're doing good." Maria said, making me look up at her confused, not understanding what she was talking about. The other two women however must have understood because Zoya snorted in laughter and Polina simply smirked and looked up at Maria. "What do you mean?" I asked naively, and Maria just sighed gently.

"You know for the smartest girl in our year Karina, you really are thick sometimes." Maria said with a chuckle, making my eyes widen as I glanced between Zoya and Polina. The inferni to my right simply placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic look. "Ignore her, Karina, she's just winding you up." She said softly, making me smile gently at her, glad we had become friends so quickly.

Zoya opened her mouth to say something, but we were all distracted by a knock at the door. "Come in!" Zoya called, and a guard opened the door and stepped into the room, his eyes lighting up as he saw me and the other girls. "Ah, Miss Iliana, we were wondering where you were, General Kirigan wishes to see you in his office." He said breathlessly, making my eyes widen for a second before I composed myself and clambered off Zoya's bed.

"I'll be right back." I said to the girls, pulling my kefta back on and following after the guard, who had stepped outside the door. I could hear giggling coming from the room as I walked away, but ignored it and tried to make myself a little more presentable as we walked down the corridor towards the General's room.

It didn't take long to reach his quarters as Zoya's room was much closer to his than mine was, and the guard, who I knew was called Dmitri and often stood outside the General's doors, motioned for me to enter. I pushed the door open and slipped into the darkened room, the only light coming from the candles which were lit across the room and the small sliver of sunlight which managed to slip through the mostly closed curtains.

However, my eyes were immediately drawn to a large pile of papers on the floor, messily thrown around, and a couple books scattered across the floor as well. "General?" I called out into the room after a couple seconds, not being able to see the shadow summoner once my eyes adjusted to the dark. "Over here." A voice said, and I turned to see General Kirigan rooting through a cupboard of more papers, his hair a little messier than usual, and a look of frustration on his face.