nineteen

| 19 |
____________

THE TWO vultures behind the counter look like they're on the prowl for blood.

Neither of their smiles falter as I hop off the counter and step up beside Grayson. I shove the ruined muffin into the trash bin and swipe my greasy hands against my pants.

Theo's eyes track my movements, zeroing in on my shoulder when it brushes against Grayson's arm.

    I'm struck with the same unnerving itch I'd gotten when I'd spotted Theo in the kitchen of the football house, at the sight of the easy smile that had slithered into place on his mouth.

Except now the feeling has multiplied.

Andy's upturned lips are painted a dark shade of red. Her hair is pushed back behind her ears, and she swats at it in an unbothered manner each time a piece comes loose and falls against her cheek.

      The headache I woke up with, the one that had finally just begun to go away, sprouts back into my brain, pounding and growing against my temples.

"Hi, guys," I say slowly. I try to keep the suspicion out of my words. "Here for coffee?"

Of course they're not. Theo won't cheat on Starbucks and Andy's been caffeine free since birth.

"If you are, I'm here to warn you," Grayson says, draping his arm over my shoulder to match their stance. His nods down at me. "She's fucking horrible at her job. You'd have better luck sticking with water."

Theo narrows his eyes. Just barely. Almost too subtle to even notice. "We aren't here for coffee."

Who could've guessed?

"Then," Grayson contemplates, "what's up?" His voice is steady, measured. To anyone else it might just sound like what it is—a question. But there's an underlying 'go the fuck away' stitched between the words that is directed solely to Theo. Specifically the possessive hand on Andy's arm that I'm sure Grayson can't stand.

      "Well, we were thinking," Theo starts, fingers twitching on Andy's shoulder, "since y'know, we're all happy in our relative situations that we—"

     "Double date," Andy squeals, unable to keep it in. She bounces on her heels, bobbing under Theo's draped arm, desperately. As if standing still will make her combust.

     That term—double date. It sounds like a goddamn curse, a chronic diagnosis that will lead to nothing but death.

    In my current state, I cannot think of anything I would dread more.

      How? How do I get out of this without Grayson seeing it as me throwing in the towel?

I decide, a bit unconsciously, to just not say anything. Grayson, still leaning into my side, also remains quiet—stiff. The two leeches behind the counter blink at us like we're insane. Like they're completely oblivious to why we might be hesitating.

Andy's smile falters. Just enough to notice as she tilts her head and bats her eyes. "We were thinking Friday. Tomorrow. Dinner. Drinks. A movie, maybe? We're down for anything."