Chapter 11

"Why do you want to chat now if you have another class to get ready for?" Lexi plopped her bag down on the desk next to her and headed to the front row. She leaned against the first desk and mimicked Tom's stance, crossing her arms.

"I don't have a class. I just didn't want to see anyone embarrass themselves again."

Lexi scoffed. "Are you kidding me? I wasn't going to embarrass myself in front of Wes. He was really friendly and thought my presentation was cute."

"Well, I hate to break it to you. That was not cute." A crack formed in Tom's expression and it seemed as if he was trying to hold back a smile. It forced Lexi to form a smile of her own and soon their expressions mirrored each other into full-blown amusement.

Lexi laughed and shook her head. "You jerk."

Tom chuckled and uncrossed his arms. "Hey, that was all you. I simply delivered on a promise."

"Okay, are you done? Because I'd really like to have a normal college experience without being harassed unnecessarily by a professor. Also, your teaching isn't half bad, so I'd like to enjoy that too."

"And your compliments aren't half bad," he fired back playfully.

"So, is that it? Did you keep me back to just rub my lack of public speaking skills in my face?" Lexi briefly placed a hand over her forehead.

Tom furrowed his brows slightly and his expression grew serious. "Why didn't you say what you wrote?"

"What?"

"For the presentation, I saw what you submitted, and it was phenomenal. Why didn't you say it to the class?"

"Couldn't you tell why? I think I made it pretty obvious, I'm not a public speaker." Lexi bit her bottom lip and released it before taking in a breath.

"Well from what I know about you, I think you have it in you to be an amazing public speaker."

Lexi smiled and warmness flowed through her. "Do you mind repeating that? I'm not sure if I heard my mean professor correctly?"

Tom chuckled. "Alright, alright. Let's just call a truce, okay? I changed my mind. After much consideration I've decided to go easier on you."

Oh, thank God! "Why the change of heart?"

"Your assignment was incredible, and I think we could learn some things from each other in this class. Plus, you know, I'd rather not get fired."

Lexi's heart swelled. "You may be a Smart Cookie after all." Why do you always have to be so cheesy, Lex?

Tom let out a deep laugh and set his hands on the table beside him. "Well, I'm glad my status has changed from Meanie to Smart Cookie. Maybe next class I'll make it to Cool as a Cucumber?"

Lexi could tell Tom was cringing internally at his own words by the face he made. "Let's take things one step at a time." A giggle escaped Lexi's lips and Tom's smile grew wider. The pair stood there for a moment, wordlessly smiling at each other, neither seeming to want to be the first to leave. "Anyways," Lexi started.

"Um, yeah, I should get back to it then." Tom scratched the back of his neck and quickly turned to his laptop.

"Bye, Professor Miller."

He looked up and his gaze made her stomach flip. "Bye, Hannah."

***

"You kids have fun tonight!" Scarlett said as her and Jason finished helping them set up the s'mores table.