Chapter 3

Beverly arrives at school with Elena

Beverly arrives at school with Elena. Beverly's trying to tell Elena to be careful when being with Stefan. Beverly says, "I'm not saying don't date the guy. I'm just saying take it slow." Elena says, "You were the one who said to go for it." Beverly says, "Now, I'm saying take it slow." Elena says, "Why the about-face?" Beverly says, "It's not an about-face. You're single for the first time in your entire high school career. It's the perfect time to play the field." Elena laughs and says, "Oh, because I'm so that girl. Seriously, what are you not saying?" Beverly says, "It's stupid." Elena grabs Beverly's arm and says, "Beverly..." Beverly stops walking and says, "What?" Elena says, "Spit it out." Beverly sighs and says, "I accidentally touched Stefan... and I got a really bad feeling." Elena says, "Is that it? Beverly?" As Beverly goes to walk away, Elena pulls Beverly to her and Beverly says, "It was bad, bad!" Elena says, "Is this the whole witch mojo thing again?" Beverly says, "You know what? I'm just concerned. This is me expressing concern about one of my best friend's new boyfriend." Elena grabs Beverly's shoulders and says, "And I love you for it, I do. But I feel good. It's been a hard year and I'm starting to kind of feel like things are getting back to normal again. And you know what? Stefan is a big part of that." Beverly sighs and nods. Then Stefan walks over and smiles at Elena and says, "Good morning, Elena." Stefan smiles at Beverly and says, "Good morning, Beverly." Beverly softly smiles at Stefan and says, "Morning, Stefan." Beverly looks at Elena and says, "I'm gonna go find Caroline. But I'll see you at practice." Elena nods and Beverly walks away. Later, Beverly's in Mr. Tanner's class doodling in her notebook about what she saw in her vision about Stefan. She keeps writing the numbers 8, 14, 22. Mr. Tanner says, "World II ended in? Anyone got anything? Miss Juan? 1945. Pearl Harbor. Miss Gilbert?" Elena looks at Mr. Tanner and says, "Hmm? Pearl Harbor?" Elena says, "Um..." Stefan says, "December 7, 1941." Mr. Tanner sarcastically says, "Thank you, Miss Gilbert." The class laughs and Stefan smiles and says, "Anytime." Mr. Tanner says, "Very well. The fall of the Berlin wall." Stefan says, "1989. I'm good with dates, sir." Mr. Tanner says, "Are you? How good? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act." Stefan says, "1964." Mr. Tanner says, "John F. Kennedy assassination." Stefan says, "1963." Mr. Tanner says, "Martin Luther King." Stefan says, "'68." Mr. Tanner says, "Lincoln." Stefan says, "1865." Mr. Tanner says, "Roe versus Wade." Stefan says, "1973." Mr. Tanner says, "Brown versus Board." Stefan says, "1954." Mr. Tanner says, "The battle of Gettysburg." Stefan says, "1863." Mr. Tanner says, "Korean war." Stefan says, "1950 to 1953." Mr. Tanner smiles and says, "Ha! It ended in '52." Mr. Tanner chuckles and Stefan says, "Uh, actually, sir it was '53." Mr. Tanner says, "Look it up, somebody. Quickly." A student says, "It was 19...53." Everyone claps for Stefan. The bell rings and everyone leaves.