25

Jasmine Atakni

WEDNESDAY

As I sit at the cafeteria table, the weight of my actions and the consequences they've brought hang heavy in the air. Mina, ever perceptive, notices that something is off and joins me, settling down in the chair across from me. The noise of the bustling cafeteria fades into the background as we find a moment of solitude amidst the chaos.

I stare down at my plate, my appetite gone, and my hands tremble slightly.

Tears threaten to fall from my eyes, and I try so hard to just not think about it.

And the absence of Noah, the realisation that he doesn't want to see me anymore, cuts deep into my heart.

Mina places a hand on mine, her touch offering a sense of comfort and understanding. "Jasmine, I can see that something is really bothering you. Are you okay?"

"Yeah just fine." I whisper, "just haven't been feeling well lately."

"What do you mean?"

"I've lost my appetite, been vomiting-I think its the stress."

"Or maybe your pregnant?" My eyes widen.

My eyes widen at Mina's suggestion, her words sinking in slowly. Pregnant? The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I feel a mix of panic and curiosity welling up within me.

"Pregnant?" I repeat, my voice barely above a whisper. "Stop being silly."

Mina nods, her eyes filled with a mixture of concern and excitement. "It's possible, Jasmine. Stress and emotional turmoil can sometimes take a toll on our bodies. Have you missed your period?"

My mind races as I try to recall the last time I had my period. The days seem blurred together amidst the chaos of recent events, and I can't seem to pinpoint the exact timing. I take a deep breath, trying to calm the rising anxiety.

Oh shit. It's been two weeks since I was meant to be due.

As the weight of the situation presses down on me, I feel a sense of urgency wash over me. Without wasting another moment, I quickly make my way to the bathroom, my footsteps echoing in the empty hallway. With trembling hands, I reach into the drawer of the bathroom cabinet, searching for the pregnancy test that lies within.

As I retrieve the small box, my heart pounds in my chest, my mind racing with a mix of anticipation and anxiety. I remind myself to take deep breaths, to steady my shaking hands, as I tear open the packaging and retrieve the pregnancy stick.

"You good in there?"

I drink a little more water, waiting for the pee to come through as Mina stands on the opposite side of the bathroom door. I finally am able to pee on the stick, I put the lid back on and clean myself up before exiting the bathroom.

I settle the stick on the side whilst washing my hand, Mina and I wait.

"How long does it say to wait?" I ask Mina, who grabs the box from the counter and checks the instructions.

"It says we have to wait for about three minutes," Mina replies, her eyes fixed on the instructions. "It's going to feel like an eternity, isn't it?"

I nod, feeling a mixture of anxiety and anticipation building up inside me. These few minutes will determine whether my life is about to change dramatically or remain on its current course. The silence in the room feels heavy as we both focus our attention on the small, white stick sitting on the countertop.

Tick. 

Tick. 

Tick.

Each second feels like an eternity, my heart pounding in my chest as I steal glances at the clock on the wall. The room feels suffocating, the weight of uncertainty hanging in the air. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing thoughts.