[XIII] AU Week #1: The Cold War

A/N from 2023: I did an AU Week in 2020 to celebrate one year of ST3. I'm moving those chapters from my main Alice book to this one since that's what this book is for—AUs and fun bonus chapters! 

***

A/N from 2020: Welcome to the first of many AUs for my Stranger Things 3 Anniversary Celebration!

This AU is separate from Alice's world. It is inspired by a plot in my plot shop and is meant to act as a pseudo-prologue.

Introducing Lara Sinclair in...

THE COLD WAR

🍦🍦🍦

"Welcome to Scoops Ahoy Employee Orientation. My name is Lyle Springer and I'm the manager of this fine establishment."

Lara Sinclair politely clapped, but stopped when none of the other employees did.

Lyle, however, looked pleased. He straightened up and adjusted his wire-framed glasses.

"Oh! Well, thank you for that."

He cleared his throat.

"I take it you've all read your employee handbooks?"

"Yes, sir!" Lara said brightly. "Cover to cover."

Her fellow employees—two faces she recognized from when she went to Hawkins High—nodded, indicating they'd read their books as well.

"Great. After you watch this short informational video on how we do things at Scoops, I'll hand out uniforms."

"Uniforms?" the boy said. Lara knew he had been a popular underclassmen during her senior year. What was his name? Stuart...something with an H? Stan...Herringbone?

"Yes, Steve," Lyle said. "Uniforms."

Steve! Lara thought. I was close.

Lyle pressed a button on the TV that took up most of the space in the Scoops Ahoy back room. He flipped off the lights, drowning them in darkness.

The TV screen glowed a bioluminescent blue as the video began.

Lara, Steve, and the third employee watched a cheesy, over-the-top video on proper safety techniques and company policy.

"Remember, sailors," the voiceover said, "we pride ourselves on service with a smile! And never be seen without your sailor's hat, so the customers will know to find you if they have a problem."

Lara dutifully took notes in a small notebook while watching the video.

"You're taking notes?" Steve hissed.

"No talking, please," the manager said.

Steve mumbled an apology and turned back toward the TV.

"Sailors," the voice over continued, "remind customers that if the ice cream they eat makes them seasick, they're not entitled to a refund..."

As dutiful a student as Lara was, she couldn't help but zone out. The video was very obviously cheaply made, filled with pointless jump cuts and awkwardly close zoom-ins.

Lara continued taking brief notes here and there, but focused most of her energy on doodles. She drew an ice cream cone melting on a sidewalk. Then, she drew her little brother with his slingshot and her little sister on her bicycle.

By the time she had perfected the shading, Lyle turned the lights back on.

Lara blinked rapidly, eyes adjusting to the brightness.