The Ceremony

18XX

Centuries had passed and you were still around.

In a way, you were like a boss monster, but more of a human still stuck in their 22 year old body.

A lot of things had changed.

Home was basically a giant well-built city with a big castle. The monster population had grown and new species also developed overtime.

You saw some of your friends come and go. It surely was a strange feeling to be immortal.
You could hold your future friends in your arms as they were a baby and then they suddenly were all grown-up and solved grown-up problems with you.

And then they dissolved into clouds of dust.

You never grew used to that part.

It was something you never expected to witness since you thought every single monster would easily outdo you regarding their aging processes.

You should be long dead yourself. But you aren't. Sometimes you were scared by that.

You feared that for some unknown reason, life decides it made a mistake and you wouldn't wake up the next day. Since you were the very first human who ever became that old, there wasn't very much information or anything that could make you feel confident about your state.

It was also a mystery to what happened on the surface and humanity. Living in the depths of the cavern both came with advantages and disadvantages. Very little is known about the current state of humanity but the books and other literature that reaches the underground give monsters somewhat of an insight of what is going on and what happened.

The past years, brave monsters had ventured the water areas of the Underground a lot. It held many treasures, that were washed there from the human world.

They brought new inventions and devices and more or less relevant information and Gaster was beyond excited about each new piece of knowledge.
Monsters seemed to fade in people's history, and they became less relevant. All the stories they had about monsters were those that scared children into obedience or were silly bedtime stories.

Just like how monsters as a species faded, so faded the relevance of the war. Many monsters who lived during the war had already perished and it became more or less history for children to learn about.

Of course, there were still grudges held against humans but it wasn't as present as it was before because no one really had a direct connection anymore except for the boss monsters and you.

You had mostly overcome all the trauma from your past but you couldn't say the same about Gaster. He was still unforgiving of himself about what has happened to his family and sometimes he had some setbacks and panic attacks about it again.

Even after so much time, the scars didn't fully heal and the way he neglected his own mental health somewhat made him more miserable sometimes.

You were worried, that someday, he would fall into a hole that he would not easily get out of but you were still trying your best to support him.

However, things were getting better for Gaster recently. Monsters had learned about the term scientist. It was a term you had never heard of before until the first works and books about science started to drop down. Gaster had discovered it in some of the writings and was set out to find a full definition for it until a newer dictionary was found in the trash piles.

Asgore saw this title as rather fitting for Gaster and he was set to become the very first Royal Scientist, serving the Crown as best as he could.

It was the least they could do for him to reward Gaster for all of his efforts and services from the previous centuries. He contributed so much to making Home safe and livable.

Soon enough, Toriel and Asgore held a ceremony to give Gaster this really important and meaningful title:

"And hereby, I, King Asgore Dreemurr, declare Dr. W.D. Gaster as our first Royal Scientist. May you use your wisdom and integrity to help our cause and support monsterkind with everything you have."

Gaster rose up and faced the crowd, who was cheering and clapping loudly.

You stood with Toriel further in the back behind Asgore and Gaster, giving him as much as applause as you could.

Asgore handed the certificate to Gaster, who proudly held it in his hands and slightly turned to look at you and smiled. His eyes lit up when he saw you and he immediately turned around again to take in the spotlight and cheers from the crowd.

Usually, he wasn't that comfortable being in the spotlight, but you figured he was too happy to actually realize it because he finally found his true calling.

He wasn't just a doctor anymore.

He got a proper title. He is a scientist, and he would always be one and explore the many possibilities of our world and create things that help us.

Being a doctor wasn't just a name anymore that was given to him because he knew monster anatomy and how to heal. It was a title that was connected to knowledge and hard work and being a scientist practically summed everything up he has ever done and what he truly is.

The applause faded and things slightly calmed down, when a monster approached the group up front, a big clunky black box in its claws.

"And now a picture to capture this significant moment.", said a monster and held up what seemed to be a camera but Gaster stopped him just in time and turned to you and the others.

With a big smile on his face, he motioned Toriel, Asgore and you to come join him and you quickly found your place next to him. Asgore and Toriel positioned themselves behind the both of you, both placing their paws on your and Gaster's shoulder.

You leaned your head more towards Gaster's side, smiling into the camera. Gaster held up his certificate and all of you smiled. With a quick flash, the moment was captured for all eternity and the monster took the piece of paper, waving it around as an attempt to dry and develop the picture.

You took the opportunity to turn to Gaster and talk to him: "I am so proud of you!"

Gaster immediately pulled you into a hug, then pulled away again to sign: 'Without you I would have never made it that far.'

"Oh, shush. We both know you would have done great without me as well."

'Either way, I am happy you are here with me now. Thank you for everything.'