¹⁰

CHAPTER TEN

     AFTER THE FIGHT WITH THE DAI LI AND THE RETURN OF APPA, Sokka was still very determined to see the Earth King and discuss with him the plan to stop the Fire Nation. Katara had her reasoning why it wasn't a good idea while Sokka continued to argue that they needed the Earth King's support if they wanted to invade the Fire Nation on the Day of Black Sun, a solar eclipse that rendered the Fire Nation and all firebenders defenseless.

"What makes you think we'll get it? I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little  gang." Toph argued as she sat on the rocky floor of the lake island the group decided to stay on for the time being. 

"Toph's right, Sokka. Long Feng is in control of the city; his conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us." Katara argued, Yan and Toph nodding in agreement.

"I'm with Hair Loopies over here. Besides, getting away from this corrupt city has been a dream of mine for years. Toph's seen enough of Ba Sing Se and she is blind." Yan added as Toph punched her in the arm. 

Aang floated over with an enthusiastic smile. "But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth about the conspiracy and the war."

"See, Aang's with me! It's the whole reason we came here in the first place. We have to try." Sokka urged Katara as he threw his arm around Aang's shoulder and smiled. Katara sighed and thought it over before deciding it was a good idea while Toph believed Long Feng brainwashed Sokka due to his newly positive attitude. Aang looked at the lake and saw three boats sailing across the water's surface. "That's probably the Dai Li searching for us. We gotta go."

The group climbed onto Appa's back and held on tight as Aang flew his giant sky bison back to the city. If she had to pick between flying in a metal airship or on Appa's back without a saddle, Yan would've 100% chosen the airship. Flying bareback on the back of a sky bison was terrifying; she'd rather be throwing up than falling off at any given moment. 

The group hurried to the Earth King's palace, Yan pointing down below. "That's it, the whole place is the palace. We have to approach with caution; Long Feng most likely warned the palace defenses that we were coming," she warned the group as they flew closer to the palace.

"Why would you assume that? If you ask me, I think we're just gonna sail right in on-" Sokka was cut off by a boulder flying right at Appa. Luckily, Appa narrowly avoided the flying rock projectile, sharply swerving to the left to avoid hitting it. Appa flew around the boulders that were being launched at him from the Earth Kingdom soldiers down below, the group gripping tightly onto his white fur. Aang easily pulverized a boulder that came flying at him from his right, Momo ducking down and chirping nervously. He flew down to the ground and dealt with the ground defenses.

Once Appa landed, Team Avatar ran toward the palace steps, Royal Guards trying to stop the group of teenagers. Toph, Aang, and Yan provided support with their earthbending while Katara used her waterbending to whip soldiers away, although she frequently apologized for hitting the soldiers. They weren't trying to hurt the Royal Guards, they were just trying to speak with the Earth King. The group crossed a bridge and reached the main steps up to the palace; as more soldiers came, Toph used her impressive bending to cause the steps to flatten, creating a giant slide. She and Aang used their combined skills to create a sort of pulley to make their way up to the palace faster.

Once inside the palace, Sokka looked around frantically. "Yan, which way to the Earth King?" he asked, brandishing his sword and boomerang. 

"How should I know? I haven't been in here before! I'm still with the vote to leave Ba Sing Se!" she shouted as she created a wave of rocks to push the soldiers back. Sokka began opening doors, looking to see where the group had to go next while the rest of the team continued to fight. When the soldiers were finally pushed back ― and a border of rocky debris surrounded the group ― Sokka climbed up the border and grinned when he saw a gigantic green door.