¹⁵

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

     YAN STOOD AT A ROCKY PODIUM, squinting to make sure her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. Not too far away from where she stood, she could see Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Toph sitting together, discussing something. They looked  different from when she last saw them, Katara's hair out of the braid she had last seen her in and Aang sporting new clothes, no doubt gaining them after his crushing defeat with Azula in Ba Sing Se. She couldn't hear their conversation, she was frozen to her spot, surprised to finally be seeing her old friends again.

Toph leaned her head against her hand as she listened to Sokka go on and on about what to do next after they were forced to retreat to the Western Air Temple after they failed the invasion. The adults willingly allowed themselves to be arrested while the younger members of the invasion force joined the group to hide. As she zoned out, she felt a familiar vibration under her. Her eyes widened and she placed her hand on the rock she sat on top of, making sure what she was sensing was right.

"Toph, what is it?" Katara asked as Toph hopped off the rock and turned to face a rocky podium. Knowing she had been spotted, Yan stepped out of her hiding place, smiling a small smile. The group's eyes widened when they saw their old friend they had no idea was still alive.

"It's Yan!" Katara shouted, running over to Yan and throwing her arms around her, nearly knocking the girl off her feet. Yan grunted at the impact but returned the hug, snuggling her face in Katara's long hair. "We thought you were dead! Where have you been for months?"

Yan stepped back, grinning from ear to ear at the waterbender girl, growing a bit emotional at the sight of her friends. Sokka's mouth had fallen open, never having seen Yan look so much like a girl. Aang hurried over and hugged Yan while Toph kept her distance and smiled, not much of an affectionate person. The group brought her over to where they were having their discussion and sat her down, eagerly asking her where she had been.

"Well, after Katara left the underground city with Aang, Iroh and I were arrested and taken to a prison in the Capital City of the Fire Nation. We spent months in prison, just waiting for the right moment to escape. Then the Day of Black Sun happened, which gave us the perfect opportunity to finally get out of there. We went back to Ba Sing Se and then I was told that I would find Aang here." she explained everything, smiling and chuckling softly at everyone's surprised expression.

"You look so different. You actually look like a girl now. Last time we saw you, you were wearing the Earth Kingdom soldier uniform and had short hair." Aang smiled as he lifted the braid in Yan's hair and let it drop. Yan nodded and smiled, glad to be back with her friends again.

"Let's get back to what we were talking about. Anyway, since we need a new plan, I say that the new plan is the old plan. Aang just needs to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before Sozin's Comet comes." Sokka began optimistically. Aang raised a brow and leaned back on his hands from where he sat on a fallen stone pillar.

"Oh, yeah, that's great, no problem. I'll just do that," he said sarcastically as he flicked away a rock, frowning. Katara sighed and placed a hand on Aang's shoulder which he swatted away. "It's not even gonna be possible. Where am I supposed to get a firebending teacher?"

Katara was quiet for a moment, thinking of someone who could teach Aang. "We could look for Jeong Jeong," she said positively but Aang rolled his eyes at her suggestion.

"Yeah, right. Like we'll ever run into Jeong Jeong again." he sighed, laying back on the stone. Yan wanted to say where she knew Jeong Jeong was ― and how she knew who he was ― but she decided to keep her mouth shut for now. Aang stood up, his new glider in his hand. "Oh, well. Guess we can't come up with anybody. Why don't we just take a nice tour around the temple?" He ran off, opening his glider and jumping off the landing, taking to the skies with Momo behind him.