17 - Nobody

I took some deep breaths as we walked through the building, Gally explaining some stuff to the Gladers.

"Are you alright, love?" Newt wondered, concerned. His lips pressed into a thin line when he noticed how uncomfortable I seemed to be.. and I kind of was, but it was doable. "Is this about the pub?"

"Yeah, but I'm fine," I confirmed.

Soon we came to a stop, close to Lawrence who was just as always, smelling his roses.

"Gally, glad to see you made it back." He said once he noticed us. "Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter." Gally sighed. "There's nothing we could do against those guns."

Lawrence moved a little closed, but it was too dark around him for me to see his ugly face again.
"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung. Now, who are these people? Why are they here?"

Thomas talked, and I remembered Gally telling him not to, but it's Thomas, what'd he expect?
"We need to get into WICKED. Gally said you can get us through the walls."

Lawrence walked closer to us, the wire connected with a tube making some noise. "Gally should know better than to make promises that he can't keep."

My stomach dropped. We couldn't get in those walls? But what about Minho?

"Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside WICKED is impossible." Lawrence explained, moving into the light. I noticed some of the Gladers tensing up and others taking a step back by seeing his weird skin and two holes instead of nose.

"There might be a way now," Gally assured. "But it doesn't work without Thomas."

I had to keep my eyes off Lawrence's weird skin again.
"Is that so?" He got in front of Thomas, way too close for me to like. "Do you know what I am... Thomas?" Lawrence lowered his voice. "I am a businessman. Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?"

Thomas stood there bravely and talked with confidence. "Cause I can help you. You see, if you can get me through those walls... I can get you what you need."

Lawrence scoffed a little. "What is it that you think I need?"

Thomas' lifted his head up lightly. "Time." He looked at the tube, which as slowly running out of liquid. "Every last drop."

"Is that what I need?"

"WICKED has something we both want," Thomas added.

Did he just call Minho something? I frowned.
Not the right time, Jane.

"I'll tell you what." Lawrence started. "Two can go for now. The rest stay down here with me. Just a little insurance to make sure you find your way back. We have a deal?"

Thomas nodded and shook Lawrence's disgusting hand.

He grinned lightly. "Gally, show him the way."

~

"Can I go?" I bugged as Gally opened a well, which was in a different room.

"Thomas and Newt are going," Rye replied casually.

"Who decided that?" I crossed my arms, not agreeing with any of the boys risking their lives while it wouldn't matter to me if dying meant saving Minho.

"We just did," Newt said.

"You're gonna leave again?" I grumbled, moving my head down.

"It's safer." Newt sat down on a bench and started tying his shoes while I turned to look at Brenda and Cyra.

"Y'all okay with this?"

Brenda shrugged. "Whatever."

"I'd rather not die." Cyra leaned against the wall. "Plus, I overheard there were some new showers here. I don't mind using one of those. So that's what you'll be doing in the meanwhile. Much better, am I right?"

That sounded quite good to me too as Newt looked up at Cyra.
A grin appeared on her face. "Oh, so now you do want to stay because Jane's taking a shower?"

Newt didn't reply and walked over to me. "Stay with Jorge."

"In the shower?" I joked, followed by a giggle.

Newt seemed annoyed for a second. "Are you serious, Jane?" He sighed. "Just take care, okay?"

"Alright." I couldn't help to cup Newt's face and connect our lips gently, though the kiss turned deeper soon.

Brenda let out a cough and Cyra raised her eyebrows. "You two done? This is disgusting."

"Mhm." Newt bummed and let go. "Bye, love." Then he followed Gally and Thomas into the well.

"Bye, love." Cyra mimicked in a high-pitched voice, causing Brenda to laugh. "Well.. showers then?"

~

My hair was still dripping on my- I mean Newt's shirt when I came out of the shower while Jorge welcomed me warmly.

"This is where we get to stay for a bit, mi hija." He motioned everywhere around. It was a big room, with one small table on the side and a bigger, round table in the middle. Three doors surrounded us, those seemed to be the bedrooms and there was a big balcony that had a view on the city walls.

"Why didn't I get this when I stayed here?" I muttered, remembering the cold room with only one single bed and nothing else I had. I didn't have showers either! So I guessed Lawrence evolved his place. 

"There are three rooms," Jorge explained. "We're with nine if I counted right. There's two beds in one of them, two in the other, and four in the last one.. weird order, yes. I know."

A twinkle shined in my eyes as my lips curled up in a smile. Jorge inspected my face and shook his head heavily after.

"No thinking off."

"But, Jorge!" I pouted. "Cyra, Rye, Brenda, and Fry could stay in one... Thomas and Crassus, and Newt, me and you will stay in the other one!"

"We only have two beds. That's not happening." Jorge decided.

"I can easily sleep in the same bed as Newt." I protested.

"The beds are small."

"Only better." I pointed out.

Jorge sighed loudly. "I don't want to wake up on you two cuddling of literally anything!"

"You won't." I put my hands together in a begging position. "Please, Jorge?"

"Just for this once."

"Yes!" I gave him a quick hug, quite excited I could sleep next to Newt without having to use any excuses, which I found weird anyways. Sleeping next to someone while you're dating them didn't seem inappropriate to me, but everyone else around me had different opinions.

𝐒𝐩𝐲 𝐈𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐫 ✭ DTC love triangleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें