1.6

chase stood by his doorway, listening to kate tell allison about the beast of gevaudan.

"what is this?" allison asked.

"it's an old, french legend that, believe it or not, has something to do with your family," kate explained.

chase could see right through her and see what she was doing, shaking his head. "what the hell?"

"'in seventeen-seventy-six in a province of lozere, le bete killed over a hundred people'," allison read. 

"mysterious animal attacks," kate said, "just like a certain town called beacon hills."

"so what was it?" allison inquired. "the animal?"

"nobody knows for sure, but i can tell you one thing. it definitely wasn't a mountain lion. what's it look like to you?"

"hey, aunt kate?" chase called. 

"yeah!" she replied.

"can you help me out with this?" 

"i'll be right there." she sighed. "so? what's it look like?"

"it looks like... a wolf."

"i'll be back," she told the girl, leaving the room and going to chase's.

he shut the door behind her, giving her a hard look. "what the hell do you think you're doing?"

kate recoiled, chuckling. "who the hell do you think you're talking to like that?"

"look, i'm sorry. but we all agreed she cannot find out," he sneered. "why are you giving her hints? first the comments at dinner, then the necklace, now this. it was one thing with me - i've known for as long as i can remember - but her? no. everyone agreed not to tell her. she isn't ready."

"she is, trust me. i see it in her, just like i saw it in you." kate held his face in her hands, giving him a sweet look. "i know what i'm doing. i know allison. she's ready - i just need to slowly get her to realize it herself."

"no," he refused. "i'm not gonna let you do to her what you did to me."

"tell me, what'd i do to you? because from how i see it, i saved you from your parents and my dad. i took you in, i took care of you, i taught you, i made you. i made you one of the greatest of our family. you should be grateful."

he hesitated, not knowing what to think. "don't do this to her. please. i'm begging you, don't do this to alli."

"trust me, chase. i got this. and please don't tell your parents, alright?" kate sighed, making an upset face. "chris'll get really mad at me. i'll get in trouble. there'll be fighting, he'll kick me out, you'll be on your own, and i'll probably never see you guys again. you don't wanna do that to you, me, or allison, right?"

"no, no, i-i-i don't want that. i just don't want allison knowing, aunt kate." chase took a deep breath.

"then just give me your trust. i have it from here, alright, kid?"

"...alright."

"you're just like me, you know that?" kate grinned, ruffling his hair. "it's you and me. i'm all you got, remember that."

chase clenched his jaw, inhaling slowly. "yeah."

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ

"chase!" lydia called, hurrying over to him. "hi."

"hey," he greeted, closing his locker.

"i was wondering if you could help me out with two somethings." she twirled her hair around, smiling at him.