Chapter Two

Touch My Brother and You Die — Chapter Two

What was most important now was to keep Rion alive. If he found a good partner and lived past twenty, I could shut myself in the Magic Tower with my mentor and enjoy my exciting, magical life.

Who would have thought I’d find my calling by falling into a novel? While training to increase my mana and doting on Rion, I saved him from our cousin and eradicated all other threats around him.

However, it was important to keep my distance. That kid was so cute and kind—everything he did was adorable—so it was hard to act neutral. But I managed.

I did the bare minimum as an older sister. I’d say, “Have a great relationship” or “I wish you a wonderful marriage” when he brought over a boyfriend—and occasionally a girlfriend.

I had the opportunity to meet a nice guy myself. Surprisingly, it was the stud I’d hitched Rion to in my second life. I never imagined getting married, but, I decided that I should find happiness for myself and my little brother this time around.

I swiftly got to making plans for both weddings. I was looking at draft designs for my bridal gown when Rion burst into my room in a fury. He stretched out his delicate hand and grabbed the glass of lemonade on the table next to me. He chugged it in one go, threw up blood, and died.

Someone had poisoned the lemonade. I started my twelfth life already deeply angry. What the hell, man?! Poison?! I cleared a shit ton of hurdles already, and now I had to worry about poison?

I took my royally pissed-off self straight to Rion and screamed and cried about him being born with such a weak body that he’d die of poison. Rion, of course, had no idea why I was acting like this, but he kept apologizing anyway, begging me to forgive him.

Don’t be so nice, you idiot! You moron! You’re breaking my heart! What was even the use of getting angry at an ignorant kid anyway? I’d just feel worse. After crying my heart out, I pulled myself together and started forming a plan to help Rion live his inevitably short life to the fullest.

I fucked up our cousin and threatened the duke into making Rion an official part of our family. Then I helped my little brother develop poison tolerance, brought in a teacher to help him learn how to fight, and blitzed him with lightning magic when he got too cocky.

He was forbidden from leaving the estate in case something we had yet to encounter tried to kill him. His schedule was so hectic that he couldn’t even get a boyfriend in this life.

This, fortunately, helped him evade quite a bit of drama, and he was able to safely reach his twentieth birthday. Then twenty-one, and, to my joy, twenty-two. At twenty-three, he was still glued to my hip, but at least he was alive and kicking. Three years had passed since the twentieth-year death trap.

He’s finally safe, I thought. The moment this occurred, I freed myself of all worldly desires and decided to leave so I could find my own happiness.

I, who was the descendent of Duke Roxburg. I, who was the heir to the Roxburg dukedom, the so-called Heartless Winter Apricot Flower of the Kingdom. I, who was the Lady of the Silver Thunderbolt (or whatever other weird nicknames people gave me). I threw my responsibilities and title to Rion and left the estate.

I had a feeling that the duke would come running after me due to all the effort he’d already put into my successorship education, so I didn’t go anywhere near the Magic Tower, located inside the Kingdom. Instead, I crossed the mid-continent mountain range and entered the so-called unexplored lands beyond.

During my eighth life, my mentor told me about the original and true Magic Tower. The towers in each country were merely branches of the original, and every archmage in history came from the original.