S4: Troq

Open to a group of planets in outer space. A tiny speck of light winks in the far distance and resolves into an elongated, missile-like spacecraft that blazes toward the camera. Laser beams lance past it from behind, the nearest of misses, and after a moment, the shooters race up in pursuit; a pair of ships that somewhat resemble manta rays.

The chase veers down toward Earth with no letup in the intensity of the fusillade; with no warning, the fleeing vessel goes into a sudden dive and plunges into the cloud cover, but the two opponents are soon on its tail.

The clouds part to reveal that the group is bearing down on Jump City Bay and Titans Tower. It is daytime. More shots from the aggressors nearly shake the thrusters off their target. Cut to a close-up of the pilot and pull back-a broad-chested, solidly built humanoid male with silver upper body, forearms, and head; a scar or crack runs down from the right eye.

The rest of his body is black, and a four-pointed black star with a red dot at its center is emblazoned on his sternum just below the throat. This is Val-Yor. He throws a contemptuous glance back over his shoulder as the camera pulls back to frame more of him.

Val-Yor: You dirty Locrix are gonna have to do better than that if you want to stop me!

The bay again, his ship pulls up just in time to avoid crashing into it and ends up skimming the surface, heading straight for the island and the Tower. The Locrix vessels continue their dogged pursuit. Cut to inside the operations center windows and pull back as Starfire straightens up into view, holding a handful of playing cards. The free-for-all flashes past outside on the next line.

Starfire: Please, explain why it is bad to be the old maid?

The entire Tower shakes in the wake of their passage, drawing her attention and that of the other Titans, who are in on the game as well.

Cyborg: Whoa! What was that?

Beast Boy: Giant worms?

The flyers make another pass.

Raven: Uh, don't think so.

Robin: Titans! Go!

They are off and running almost before their cards hit the coffee table. Cut to an overhead shot of the Tower's base and tilt up to the roof as Val-Yor races past, just ahead of the Locrix. The Titans have gathered here to watch the spectacle; high overhead, the two chasers peel off slightly to either side and trade places. A sharp U-turn sends the fugitive back the way he came, almost shearing a wing off one of the Locrix vessels.

Cyborg: Whoever he is, the guy's a good pilot.

Said pilot dodges a few lasers, then finally returns fire and blows one of the two ships apart with a single shot.

Robin: That guy's a great pilot!

Right on cue, the surviving pursuer has something to say about that, in the form of a fresh barrage. Close-up of Val-Yor, who has not even come close to blowing his cool; he flips open a panel and presses the red button underneath. This opens a diamond-shaped hatch directly above his head, and he crosses his arms expectantly. A flash of light, and the camera has shifted to the topside portion of his craft; he is ejected through this new opening and soars back toward the opposing vessel.

We can now see that his feet and ankles have the same metallic coloration as his face and hands. Within seconds, he has reached the Locrix ship and flattened himself against a body panel, digging fingers and toes in for whatever purchase he can find. Slowly, though, the wind shear gets the better of him and he begins to slide along the length of the craft.

He finally gets a better grip and crawls determinedly toward a flat device at the leading edge. This consists of a glowing red circle connected to four similar, smaller ones that are spaced evenly around it. At a touch on one of these four, the main light narrows like a squinting eye.