Chapter Thirty-One

Trigger Warning: Dub-con

Chapter Thirty-One

Hermione quickly realizes the necklace is a big problem.

At the end of the night, she tries to remove it before her bath. It won't come off. It's like the clasp is suddenly made of stone and no matter how much she fiddles with it, it won't budge. The necklace is very beautiful, there's no doubt, but she isn't sure she likes the idea of permanent jewelry.

She wonders if it's some sort of Malfoy family charm, something practical to keep the individual from losing the necklace. She's certain Malfoy can help her remove it when he gets home.

What odd behavior from him.

The next day, she takes breakfast with Tillian and Faye in the tearoom. Faye fawns all over the necklace, practically screeching in Hermione's ear about how romantic it is of Malfoy to give her a gift like that, while Hermione tries again and again to explain to Faye that there's no romance between her and Malfoy. She tries to focus on her food, but she's so preoccupied with thoughts of the necklace that she can't even take one bite. It's so light that she barely remembers it's around her neck, but she can't shake the feeling that there's something wrong. It just doesn't make sense for Malfoy to give her a gift. He's never done that before.

"Yesterday was so fun," Faye says around a mouthful of food. "We had a snowball fight with the House Elves. Let me tell you what, Pinky has a mean left hook."

"Pinky? Moe was the one to watch out for. I thought she was gonna knock my bloody teeth out!" Tillian says with a laugh.

"I saw that," Faye says, giggling. "Good thing it didn't bruise."

"All right, Hermione?" Tillian asks, his fork sliding out of his mouth. He chews his bite. "You look a bit ill."

"Yes, I..." She trails off, holding the emerald pendant between her fingers. "I'm just thinking about this necklace. It's not like Malfoy to give gifts."

"Well, who else could it be from?" Tillian asks with a frown.

"It belonged to his mother so it has to be from him, but it...It doesn't feel right."

"The necklace itself?"

Hermione shakes her head. "The situation."

Crack.

Faye screams at the top of her lungs. Hermione nearly drops her fork. Tillian rolls his eyes.

Malfoy's in the tearoom with them, his tall form seeming to take up the limited space between the table and the enchanted piano. His eyes are wild and bright, focused on Hermione. He's got rips in his clothes and he smells like blood, just like the last time he came from battling. This time, there's no scent of smoke, so she can tell he didn't leave in the heat of it. He likely snuck away.

"You two–out," he says, jamming his fingers anxiously through his hair. Orders it like they're soldiers.

Tillian and Faye give Hermione worried looks before they snatch up their plates and scramble out of the room, leaving her alone with Malfoy and the faintly-playing piano. Hermione opens her mouth to ask Malfoy about the necklace, but he cuts her off.

"Don't say a word," he says, and her mouth snaps shut immediately. "I'm fucking starved ."

Hermione feels his hands wrap around her waist, dragging her to her feet in her jumper and trousers. She manages to put one of her hands on his shoulders right as he grabs her other hand. Without preamble, he bites her wrist, fangs sinking deep and causing arousal to explode through her blood. She tries to say something, but it's like her tongue is tied into a knot. Like there's something wrapped around her throat. All she can do is sigh. If it weren't for his hand on her waist, she might have collapsed onto the tearoom's marble floor.