Chapter Thirty-Six

Trigger Warnings: Warning for non-con/dub-con BJ. Draco and Hermione are both victims to a lust potion and the necklace respectively but Hermione is consenting in her mind but Draco is on a lust potion therefore is incapable of full consent.

Chapter Thirty-Six

Carrow's salon is different from the private room they'd gone to last time they were here.

Surprisingly, it doesn't look like an overstuffed antique shoppe, like the rest of his house. It's massive and very French, with enough ornate chairs and couches for at least thirty people, and tables. There are moving portraits on the walls here, various members of the Carrow family watching the events of the room taking place with boredom. The couches are full of men and women dressed as fancily as those in the ballroom, all talking and laughing in conversation. High above them, the room is dimly lit by three candelabra chandeliers, the flickering flames casting shadows throughout the room and across the vaulted ceilings.

There are a few Christmas decorations in here, more tastefully done, and Christmas lights draped along the many curtains that shield the windows. These windows are not stained glass like the others and outside, Hermione can see how dark it is. It's cloudy, so there are no visible stars.

The strangest thing about the room is that there is Muggle Christmas music playing faintly, which disturbs her when she thinks of how much Voldemort and his supporters hate Muggles.

It is then that Hermione notices.

Against the wall, between two windows, stand at least fifteen girls. They're dressed fancy as well, but their skin is mottled with bruising and painted with dried blood. Hermione swallows against her guilt, her gaze quickly darting away before it overwhelms her. She sneaks one more glance, hoping to see Luna there, but when she doesn't, she locks away her dismay and returns her focus.

"Alecto, my sister!" Carrow holds his arms wide, and Alecto Carrow gets up from a chair, walking to meet him in a quick embrace. They kiss each other on the cheek and step apart. "You've decorated wonderfully."

"Thank you, brother." Alecto's cold eyes wash over Hermione before a cruel smile spreads across her pinched features. She's wearing a high-necked Victorian gown colored green and her mousy brown hair is pulled back into a severe chignon. "I'm glad to see you keep her decorated as well, Draco. Her bruises make pretty jewelry, don't you think?"

Carrow places a hand on Malfoy's shoulder, who stiffens upon contact.

"I've seen it myself. Draco has an excellent way with Miss Granger. He knows how to keep her obedient and compliant. The...Decorations are a welcome side effect of his methods."

"Yes, I do recall your methods being quite effective at the Dark Lord's palace," Alecto says.

Malfoy doesn't speak. He only glares, making no attempt to disguise his contempt for the Carrows.

A woman in red-and-green approaches them—a servant holding a tray of champagne. Alecto, Carrow, and Malfoy each take one. Hermione declines. They all take a sip, and then Alecto gestures to a couch in the far corner.

"Antonin and Corban are over there, waiting for you." She touches Carrow's elbow. "I'll speak with you later, brother."

Alecto walks away, and Carrow immediately starts walking across the room. Malfoy follows after a second of hesitation, guiding Hermione along with him as they weave their way through couches and chairs. Hermione sneaks looks, seeing that most of these people are sozzled, pawing at one another like animals. It's bizarre and almost...Mindless?

She frowns.

When they reach the couch Dolohov and Corban Yaxley are seated upon, Hermione sees that there's one more couch across from it, and a loveseat adjacent. Malfoy takes her to the loveseat and they both sit down. Carrow raises a hand to signal something, and from the wall, four of the battered women approach the area. Two of them, both in sparkling dresses of silver and gold, sit on either side of Carrow, curling into and upon him like cats. Though they're bruised and clearly beaten, they look at him with a reverence that she doesn't understand. The other two women—one a girl with black hair and a red gown, and the other a brunette with unnaturally white teeth—go to Dolohov and Yaxley's laps, respectively.