7.

"Another successful batch sent off to the Big World. I feel so proud!"

Mandy had honestly lost count of how long she had spent in the Institute beside Lou. A year...? She didn't know. But she didn't mind too much. Lou had been very welcoming to her ever since they had been introduced, and despite Tuesday and Lydia not being as affable, she had made a friend within Kitty. Overall, things weren't too bad. But...

She had to admit that she was quite jealous of the dolls leaving. What doll wouldn't be if they were watching other dolls gain their own child without being able to join in?

"Yes, I'm very glad for them." Mandy tried to appear cheerful as always, but her voice betrayed her.

"Is something wrong, Mandy?" Lou kept his eyes on the portal.

Mandy shook her head, smiling faintly. "There's nothing wrong, Lou."

There really wasn't anything wrong, right? All she could hope for now was that things would work out in the end... surely, she'd be able to leave soon? She's done so much for the Institute already.

There was no reason for her to stay any longer. Right?

Lou's attention turned to Mandy after hearing that. He blinked twice. "Oh, well, alright then. Let's go get ready for the new batch." His footsteps sounded as he walked away from the area, leaving behind Mandy, who was standing motionless in place.

Her legs started moving, slowly carrying her towards the portal--

"Mandy!" the blond called out, Mandy's fabric heart jumping out of her chest. "Are you coming?!"

"Uh. Yeah, yes!"

She scampered to the side of the doll, smiling at Lou and him returning the gesture.

"So! First, we'll need to--"

"Uhm, Lou... May I ask you something?"

"Hm? Anything."

"I was just wondering if... If I will be able to run the gauntlet one day?"

Lou's expression fell. "Ahh. I see, so that's what's troubling you." Lou placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, prompting Mandy to turn and look at him. "You want to run the gauntlet?"

"I just thought maybe I would be able to, considering that all the other dolls can."

He hummed quietly. "Well, you can try to run the gauntlet at any time."

"Really?"

"Really." He smiled lightly. "But... going through that portal will mean that you won't be able to return. And you make such a valuable asset here, too..."

Lou paused for a few seconds, taking a quick glance behind him at the portal. "It would be such a shame if I were to lose you."

Mandy's eyes softened. "You would miss me?"

"Well yes, of course."

She gave him a small smile. "Thank you for your honesty. You are so kind, Lou. Thank you."

"...Don't mention it." The doll chuckled quietly.

The two moved along, Lou slightly before Mandy, eyebrows furrowing and face gradually losing its light-hearted expression.

...

Despite the girls' warnings, she continued to pace down from the textile hill the four were sitting on. She moved towards the side of a building, as if she were spying on Nolan and Lou. In a matter of moments, Mandy caught sight of Lou dragging a soapy mop, seeming oblivious of their presence as he passed by, the robot dog swiftly following behind. The last one to follow was Nolan.