12

"Robo-Dogggg... or whatever your name is...? Where are you?"

Lou hadn't seen the robot since his time with Nolan the day prior, surmising that the dog was with the other dolls this morning to greet the newcomer. However, that didn't seem the case... It was strange, the metallic dog was always tagging along after him, but now there was no sign of her. He wandered around the institute, calling her name, to no avail. With a sigh, he glanced over the other dolls who were scattering about, seeming like they've all given their greetings to the new doll. Not that Lou cared, though. New dolls weren't his concern anymore.

"Hey," came a soft voice, terrifying Lou from his focused state, "I heard you calling for Robo-Dog."

Lou glanced up in surprise, noticing Mandy standing before him. "...Do you know where she is? It's unlike her to disappear like this."

"No, I haven't seen her. But I'm willing to help find her." Mandy was only doing this for the robot's sake, as the dog was a well-liked figure among everyone in the institute. That's what she thinks, at least, though there was something about Lou's desperation that almost made them empathise - almost.

Lou reluctantly agreed, and they set out together, combing through the various corners of the Institute, calling out for Robo-Dog. As they searched, Lou couldn't help but feel grateful for Mandy's help. He knew that she didn't particularly care for him, but he appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

The further they went into the institute, the more it seemed that the robot was nowhere to be found. The fact that the dog, being larger than any of the dolls, could vanish was bizarre – how could she have disappeared? They explored every crevice and corner that a giant metal dog could slip into, and still no luck. They even began to discuss various possibilities of where she could have gone; maybe she wanted to explore beyond the institute's walls? Or maybe she had gone through the portal? Although their ideas were unlikely, they did not have much else to go on.

Lou was about to call it quits, when something caught his eye. A glimmer shone near the shaded carboard cliffside, and they could hear a faint whirring noise. Lou's heart raced as he led the way, turning the corner to find a panicked machine.

"Robo-Dog!" Mandy stepped forth, rubbing her fabric palm across the side of the canine to soothe her, "What's wrong? Did Lou do something to upset you?"

"Huh? No!"

The dog whirred its head back and forth in response, as if to protest the accusation.

Lou stepped forward, examining the dog for himself. No dents or scratches as far as he could tell in the dim sunlight, but there was something strange about the way she acted, like she was trying to tell them something.

"What's going on?" Lou asked, additionally petting the dog. "Why did you disappear like that?"

A bunch of whirring sounds came from the dog, but it was impossible to tell what that meant. Lou's eyes narrowed.

"Must be a glitch or something..." The blond muttered.

"Do you know how to fix it?"

"No... I don't. The higher-ups were the ones who crafted the machines and set their objectives. All I know is that they act according to what they've been programmed to do."

Mandy frowned at that, her lips thinning as if she was considering something. Finally, she spoke up.

"...I think I know a doll that may be able to help."

...

Moxy skipped to the side of Victoria, pointing out different landmarks and buildings scattered throughout their world. Victoria listened intently, taking in the information, and analysing the structures coolly.