Chapter 18 - Discussing Terms

The hunting chores Libby and Alex had been given weren't exactly fun, and being unable to eat all day until they met their goal was tough, but Libby tried to make the best of it. They saw it as a way to improve their hunting skills without technically being a part of training.

Each morning, they and Alex went out to hunt, usually with Red Spirit keeping watch over them without helping. Libby didn't know how much the they-wolf knew of their current predicament, but decided not to press the matter as it could still bring them and Alex into more trouble. So far, they were glad that Dreven had kept the both of them anonymous.

Today was the last day of their hunting chores, and the trio were walking in the eastern part of the territory. As they passed the Calm Pool, Libby resisted the urge to dive in and relieve themself of the pressing heat. No. Stay focused. Just one more smallprey and you'll be free of your punishment.

Red Spirit was at their flank, and Alex lagged behind them, looking surly as he had all quarter-moon. He clearly didn't try to make anything positive out of his punishment.

Red Spirit finally settled down. "I smell some prey in the surrounding area. You two see if you can spot something."

Libby nodded and started sniffing. Further north, the scent of rabbits drifted in their direction from Rabbit Rocks. However, Libby knew they couldn't go there. It was way too close to where Alex had always met up with Sandy, and Dreven had strictly forbidden them from going there again.

Libby turned tail and tried to catch other scents. Soon enough, they found a nearby grouse smell. They stalked through the underbrush and saw the creature pecking at a bundle of berries growing from a bush. Silent as the night, Libby launched themself forward and closed their jaws around the bird.

It struggled and let out a cry, but Libby quickly bit down and the bird went still. Damnit, that bird definitely scared away any other prey animals... But we made it! Finally!

Excitedly, they walked back to where Red Spirit was waiting within eyesight. Alex was still gone. Libby proudly dropped their prey in front of their mentor. "All finished!"

Red Spirit blinked approvingly. "Well done. You seem to be improving your hunting skills this quarter-moon despite no training! We'll make a Hunter of you yet."

"I'll stick to being a Patroller, thanks," Libby said with a chuckle.

Loud thumping pawprints came from Libby's left. Alex approached with an unamused expression. His mouth was entirely covered by downy feathers, but there was no prey to be found.

"Did you not catch anything?" Red Spirit inquired.

Alex spat out a mouthful of down and sat down with a loud thud. "No. I tried to catch a pheasant but the stupid bird got away."

Red Spirit nodded. "Well, that's too bad. But there's also good news." They gestured to the grouse Libby had caught. "Your punishment has been completed. Libby caught it."

Libby smiled at their brother, hoping for an equally optimistic response, but he simply let out a noncommittal grunt and turned tail.

"Where are you going?" called Red Spirit.

"To the rendezvous. Punishment is over, right? I want to eat." Alex vanished from sight behind a copse of trees.

Libby looked up at their mentor. Red Spirit flicked an ear and looked back at them. "I'm not sure what you two have been up to, but I do know that Alex isn't taking it well."

"Yeah," Libby agreed. "He just needs to get over himself. He'll be back to the confident old Alex we know soon enough!"

"Alright. You grab your grouse and bring it to the Prey Cave. I'll pick up those other two smallprey we buried earlier today."