Chapter 26: The Pack of Deep Hollow

The forest they entered next was just as dreary-looking, but it at least seemed to be more occupied. It was rich with prey-scents that made Libby's mouth water, and birdsong filled the air. The Pack the land belonged to saw border markers as a big deal, judging by how many there were.

The trio had eaten in the Smith's territory, being permitted to hunt there before moving on. However the single rabbit they'd eaten hadn't filled Libby's stomach as much as they'd liked.

Now, Dreven was playing it safe. Instead of crossing straight through the new Pack's territory, they walked along the border. This would mean that they'd have to take a quite large detour, but it would probably be better in the long run.

After a day, they finally left behind the new Pack's territory, and Dreven allowed them another rest.

Libby curled up and soon fell asleep, their paws feeling as though they might fall off. Almost as quickly as they had closed their eyes, they were awoken by Red Spirit.

"Dreven wants us to move on."

Libby yawned widely and blinked. The moon was high in the sky and crickets chirped. "Already?" They didn't feel well-rested at all.

The old Leader approached. "We're almost at Deep Hollow territory. Just a little stretch from here."

Much to Libby's reluctance, the trio moved on. After a bit of walking near another Pack's territory, they halted. Libby inhaled. A new, musky smell belonging to yet another stranger Pack filled their nose.

"Deep Hollow," Dreven pointed out. "This is where their territory begins."

Libby observed their surroundings. The part of the forest they were about to enter looked a bit richer in color and less depressing than that of the Smith's, but not by much. It had a thick undergrowth and many red and yellow-colored leaves scattered on the ground.

"Come on, we're going straight through their territory to their rendezvous," Dreven said before leading them. "If I can locate it. It has been a while since we've last been here."

Libby once again lamented having to walk with their painful paws, but they continued without complaining nonetheless. Instead, they asked, "So you're sure this Pack will help us?"

Dreven nodded calmly. "I've known their Leader for a while..."

"They've been our friends in the past," Red Spirit added.

"I thought Packs usually minded their own business?" Libby pointed out.

"True," Dreven said, "but that doesn't mean we can't have friends in other Packs. So long as we know where our loyalties lie."

Libby twitched an ear and was about to respond when the dirt grew soft beneath their paws. Branches snapped. The leaf-coverings of the ground gave way. They fell into a deep pit with a yell.

"Libby!" Dreven shouted.

"Are you okay?" called Red Spirit.

Libby tried to ignore the ache in their side from where they had landed. Dreven's and Red Spirit's worried faces stared down into the pit. Libby found themself surrounded on all sides by the pit's walls, except for a tunnel that appeared to lead into pure darkness.

Libby looked back up. "Um, yes. I think I'm okay, just a little sore."

"We'll find a way to get you out of there!" Red Spirit called.

"Wait there," Dreven said.

Not like I'm going anywhere, Libby thought grumpily. They planted their front paws against the steep walls of the pit, but it was too high to jump out of. Tree roots jutted randomly out of the walls, but none of them looked strong enough to hold their weight if they were to climb.