Chapter 10: iHave an Idea

It had been hours since Sam stormed out of the Shay apartment in tears. Carly reached out to Sam multiple times with no luck. She called, texted, and even tried going to her house. When she arrived at the Puckett residence, she knocked on the door to find Pam (Sam's mom) in the middle of having dinner with a guest.

"Hi Mrs. Puckett, is Sam here?" Carly asked in a curious tone standing outside the front door.

"No," Pam Puckett responded, clearly annoyed that Carly was standing at her door.

'Well, do you know where she is?"

"How the heck should I know," screeched Pam. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in the middle of a hot date."

Carly moved her head to the side to peer into the house and saw a middle-aged, dirty-looking man wearing a stained tank top and torn jeans with scuffed work boots. He was watching television from the sofa while eating a chili dog that was staining his shirt further.

"I wouldn't say hot is the right word, but sorry to bother you. Have a good night," Carly said as she backed away from the door.

Pam slammed the door shut. You could hear her scream at her "hot" date, "Don't get chili all over my couch, it's new!"

"New?" the dirty man said. "I thought you said you stole this from a homeless person last week!"

"Yea, new to me!" Pam screamed at the top of her lungs.

Carly made her way back to the apartment. As she was opening her door, Freddie exited his apartment.

"Where you staring through your peephole waiting for me again, Freddie?" Carly questioned. "I thought you grew out of that!"

"I was not! It was a coincidence!" Freddie responded, a bit embarrassed of his past antics.

"Whatever you say," Carly laughed. "Have you heard from Sam at all today?"

"No, Why?"

Carly then invited Freddie into her apartment and explained the events that transpired. She explained her fantastic Friday evening with Griffin and then how Sam broke down in tears before storming off at breakfast.

"She's been acting weird lately and I'm not sure why," Carly stated in a concerned tone. "I've never seen her so upset in my life and I don't even know what's bothering her."

Freddie obviously knew why Sam was upset after hearing Carly's recap of her date with Griffin. He felt bad for Sam knowing how hard it must have been for her to hear about Carly being with another person. He could put an end to all of Carly's questions and suspicions as to what was bothering her by letting her in on Sam's secret. But he wasn't going to do that. He gave Sam his word, and he was going to keep it, even though he didn't love the idea of lying to Carly.

"I'm going to text her, maybe she'll respond to me," said Freddie. "Hey, Spencer."

Spencer stumbled out of the elevator and rested his hands on his knees, gasping for air.

Carly and Freddie both looked confused as they watched him from the island of the apartment.

"Why are you out of breath?" asked Carly.

"I...leaving...grocery store...Chuck...shoot...slingshot," replied Spencer, pausing after every word to muster up enough air to complete his sentence. "So...I...run."

Chuck was a kid that lived in one of the other apartments in the building. He constantly terrorized Spencer. Usually, his bullying only took part in Bushwell Plaza, but Spencer was unfortunate enough to run into him elsewhere.