9.2

The squeal of chairs moving signalled the SPCC men springing to action. As soon as the door was opened, I bolted for the exit. If I didn't get some fresh air soon I was convinced I'd completely lose it. Whatever Caesarius was, I didn't want to know and was grateful to be out of the weird filtration room. His oppressive atmosphere had made my bones ache.

"'Andine wait!" Leofstan called, his voice lost down the corridor. There was a slam as he tried to catch a door before it closed.

Staircase, staircase, staircase.

Grahame's room, Leo's room, lift room, corridor room, and meeting room. No more rooms! There! Following the little step icon I swerved the corner.

I'd always wanted to visit Germany or Canada. Now would be the perfect time. I was going to catch a nice little snack and carry on with my life far away from this mess.

"Celandine! Stop!" Leofstan shouted as I started jumping down as many steps as I could manage. He managed to grab my elbow over a turn, and we both stumbled to a stop.

"Let me go!" I snapped.

"I will not." He replied calmly as I tugged. "Now that we assume the spellcaster is building an entire army of magical siphons, you are the last thing we need to give him on a platter."

Scoffing I asked, "Or is it because you're scared this link is more than just our magic?" Someone opened the door, saw us, and rapidly retreated when we both glared. "I was just sat in the same meeting as you, I heard it all." With a sharp yank, his hand was dislodged, leaving me to gesture around the building. "From the start, I made it clear I wasn't interested in anything to do with the SPCC."

"But you understand how dangerous it is if you leave, for everyone else too." He sat on a step heavily, so his head was level with mine through the railing.

Fists clenched, I took another step downwards away from him.

"Sorry Celandine, you're not going anywhere this time." He patted the step next to him. "Why would it be so terrible? You could achieve great things here."

Because you'd kill me. Not that I was going to point that fact out. "I'm not like you." I tried to move back another step, but he reached a hand through the bannister to hover at the back of my head.

"Of course not." He agreed. "You'd be far less sporadic. Gently he added, "Besides... Maybe this link is affecting us in different ways than just our magic. There is no way to tell. Yet."

I tried to take another step, and he gave me a tap on the back of my head.

"You were right in there," I confessed. "I tampered with your spell by overpowering it," My shoulders dropped into a shrug, "I wanted to know how it worked." Chin firm, I looked up at him. "I didn't lie, it wasn't my intention for this to happen." I threw up my hand, palm facing him. "But I don't feel bad that it did."

He said nothing, but his arm wavered slightly. "So you were given a powerful artefact from a random stranger, and your first thought was, 'I'm going to blast this with magic?'"

I sighed. "Maybe the second thought."

He dropped his arm, staring at me in complete disbelief. And then he laughed. The sound echoed down the stairwell as he leant back on the steps, trying to hold back another tide. Between wheezes, he gasped, "That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard." He shook down his spine, eyes creasing at the edges as he grinned.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"Celandine, you might be one of the most impulsive creatures I've ever met. And when you are inaugurated in the SPCC, you are hereby banned from ever joining my Department in Anomalies."