11.4

Time passed, and relentlessly, I continued to pull my wrists to no avail, the burnt skin splitting. Blood began an inconsiderate rush to my head causing my consciousness to bask on the edge of oblivion. In between lucid bursts, a montage of David and his minions writing on the floor took place, with what I assumed was some newly acquired blood. They started with a basic circle of runes, followed by another, more complicated depiction, and finished it off with the most intricate. With the completion of each rune, the drawing shimmered with a throb of magic.

Locked into this tiny human form I longed to feel the wind under my wings one last time. I hadn't said goodbye to Willow. Who was going to feed my fish? Even worse would anyone ever find my hoard of gold? My glamour spell might unwind in death leaving it open to thieving hands.

Furthermore was it true? Could I open new portals? Leofstan had said too much power ripped open the mechanisms to other worlds, and after I'd absorbed magic for two days straight, my reserves still hadn't filled. If I kept going would it be enough to channel a portal by myself without combining my magic with his?

I sighed. It didn't matter anyway, I was never going to get the chance to try.

Time crawled by.

All I could do was to watch the magic going in and watch the magic going out. All the little pockets left after spell use were now so obvious, that I was mad at myself for not being able to distinguish them before. It seemed so simple now.

With some awkward propping, I could see my feet. They now appeared to be swelling at a weird rate, considering all the blood was draining to my head. Abruptly, they emitted a soft shimmer. At first, I was completely convinced I'd imagined it, so I stared entranced at my big toe. After the angle became too tiresome to hold, I began to retract.

There it was again! Lunging forward I glimpsed a soft pale green-hued pulse. I glanced around to make sure nobody was watching me.

My source was locked away - whatever runes were written on the shackles contained it tightly - so that only left one place for magic to be gathering from. Clenching my fist, the hard surface of the gem greeted my fingertips. A soft pulse flashed over my hand, a green glistening hue.

The link to Leo.

A surge of energy jolted through me, a pounding of my heart, and the flooding of a weight lifting. I might not be able to use my magic, but Leo's would be quite convenient. Although he had told me to leave the link alone. If I used it, he'd never forgive me. But If I didn't, I'd be dead.

The only problem with the idea was I'd only ever managed to send him my magic and never tried taking his. How did I even find it? When I'd sent it to him before, it was down into the emptiness inside, and that was easy enough to find.

Geesh, magic was much easier when you could resort to blasting stuff. I chewed my tongue, thinking.

Leo had described pulling the wrong source of magic as pressure akin to a rock trying to pass through a cheese grater, nothing a bit of force wouldn't fix. His magic originated from the Earth realm compared to my Fae one.

Maybe if I could see Leo it would help, I usually imagined my source of magic as a round glowy ball, so maybe if I pictured him... Who knew what he was doing right now, probably sipping tea in his room? Tightly, I closed my eyes trying to recall what he looked like.

The first thing that popped into my head was a boring stone I'd seen on the floor, and he certainly didn't look like that. His face was much squishier; more biteable, pink and juicy filled with lots of blood. He didn't have much fat on him. Would most like to be chewy. At least he wasn't too hairy with his light hair tousled, and short neat stubble, he wouldn't need plucking or peeling. He was a good size, tall and wide at the shoulders, so I'd most likely be full for a few days.