12.3

As wonderful as delayed decapitation sounded, the only thought that I was currently capable of processing was; to kill a vampire you had to remove the freaking head. Was Grahame already almost kind of alive again? I audibly groaned, causing a passing Fae to jump.

On the one hand, at least it was something for Leofstan to not add to the vendetta list. On the other, the vamp might already be up and walking and conspiring with his fellow council men to launch a dragon hunt pronto.

My footsteps smacked hollowly on the brick floors upon entering the castle halls. Either the thought of biting into Grahame's undead heart had come flooding back with a vengeance, or David was the worst case of indigestion I'd ever had. Clutching the cramps in my stomach, I involuntarily doubled over, trying to hold in the urge to launch my stomach contents all over the main corridor.

Several sets of guards had taken a sharp interest in observing my behaviour and a sheen of waxy sweat began to accumulate on my brow. It was a while before it was even possible to stand straight and resume a slower walk back to my room. It wasn't good to show any weakness in the land of the Fae. Here, you could only rely on your strength, anything less was to leave an opening. I nodded to the guards appreciatively as if they were doing a great job, returning wan, awkward smiles.

To feign further I idled as if I was exactly where I wanted to be, pretending to exude that the wall tapestries were incredibly interesting despite the feeling in my stomach growing worse by the second. A burning started in the back of my throat that couldn't be attributed to any flames.

From behind me, a deep commanding voice spoke gently. He didn't need to shout. His presence alone was enough to demand attention. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw several maids curtsey. Not now! I grimaced.

"Lady Andine. A moment of your time." King Soirrinar greeted.

Great.

My tone was snappish. "Is this about our agreement?" I wanted to just curl up in bed and never leave.

His lip quirked, eyes remaining unreadable. Soirrinar stood straight and proud in a simple tunic adorned with the stitching of secret enchantments. Today he wore a crown of delicately golden knotted dandelions that looked as if they were frozen in time to last for a lifetime. It was all rather dainty compared to anything worn on Earth.

"It is a pleasure to have you as a guest within my court. I do hope that you still intend to bequest me an evening of your time."

That wasn't what I'd agreed to at all. The feeling of wrongness spread to weigh heavily on my shoulders. I didn't have time to play whatever game he was up to. If that was what it would take to get him to leave then it would have to do.

"Is next full moon agreeable?" I asked. That would give me a couple of weeks to hopefully get whatever this was out of my system, and figure a way out of the deal so it was on my terms.

With the practised grace of a hunter, Soirrinar tilted his head in acknowledgement. "Indeed."

"Excellent," I responded, quickly turning on my heel before he could add anything to the conversation. There were a few gasps from onlookers that I hadn't waited to be dismissed, but at this point, there was going to be a lot more for them to gossip about if I stayed longer.

As soon as I was out of sight in the hallway to the private quarters, I bolted. Stepping as quickly as my feet would allow without breaking into a run; my fingers fumbled as they fished the room key out of its pocket. It took far too long to fit the blasted thing in the lock.

I wasn't going to make it to the bathroom.

Slamming the door behind shut, I launched towards an antique-looking vase on the dresser, spewing the entirety of my stomach contents into it.