Chapter 16

Pronouciation:

Sgrìob Chlann Uisnich - skrEE-ub chlown oosh-nich

Às an dris, anns an droigheann - AHs an drees ow-ns an droy-an

Heimdallr - hame-dahler

Lugh - loog

Chapter 16

All too quick I was scrubbed, hair brushed and loose, with braids woven in and out of thick curls, some decorated with plain wooden beads my mother had made; as her mother had taught her to, and hers before that. Eirny had even offered perfume that I couldn't stop lowering my head to sniff at. Hati had much the same reaction when I met him in the small room next to his den, full of leather-bound books and parchments nearly hiding a small writing desk. His nose buried against where my neck met my shoulder so he could soak in the new floral sweetness to my scent.

"You smell like you are in heat," he groaned, eyes ablaze.

Choking, my gaze darted to the other two males in the room with us, but neither Caldar nor Vali seemed to be paying us any attention.

"I can assure you I am not, if you seek to use that as an excuse for me not to come with you."

He hummed, his fingers rubbing a lock of my hair with a disappointed pout to full lips, but his gaze glinted mischievously. "Should I expect it soon? It is winter. We have had many females sequestered away for a few days lately."

Maybe he was trying to distract me from the impending fact I was to visit another realm, this time knowingly and with my soul safely in my body for once. It was working. My nervous picking around my thumbnail turned to flaming cheeks and random letters tumbling from my lips.

"I. . .um. . .we...I..."

Lifting a brow, he settled me with a brush of his cheek against mine. "A topic to discuss when we get home then. It is strange to see you stutter my mate. You walk with the barest care with no dress on, have no doubt seen mating couples when the wilds were you're home, but I bring up the possibility of you going into season? I'm your mate. I want to know, so I know when to stay close in case you do."

"Oh." Clearing my throat, I avoided his gaze as I managed to muster up an answer. "You don't need to be worrying about me distracting other males for a few weeks yet. I have always been nearer when the days lighten again."

"If the two of you are quite finished?" Caldar interrupted.

Hati chuckled, not bothering to hide the excited expectation my time frame had encouraged. Even when I dreaded the very thought. Being in season meant being fertile, and with a mate, that meant the possibility of cubs if I let him join me for the few days it would take to break mother nature's cycle.

His fingers interlinked with mine, and a jerk of his head summoned Vali to join him. The small room Hati used to write letters and store far too many books was crammed further with three males and myself fighting for room.

"Would this not be easier outside?" I asked.

"Yes," Caldar answered, glaring at an entirely too close Vali. "But we can't risk anyone seeing. Not even other Vargr. Everyone needs to believe the lie we've woven about your whereabouts, and tonight, I'll have scouts hidden in the forest ready to try and catch the spy relaying to Sköll that you're all away, and that Vali came here if he doesn't already know."