Wrecker's Innate Archetype

This is the second instalment of my Bad Batch analysis. For the Bad Batch, I will separate their character analysis into two parts: innate archetypes and anima. I will be referring to "Gods in Everyman" by Jean Shinoda Bolen for this first part analysis.

Wrecker's innate archetype is Ares, or Mars as the Romans called him, and he is the God of War. Ares was the least respected and honoured of the twelve Olympians by the Greeks because he represented the uncontrolled lust for battle and bloodshed. However, as Mars, the Romans held him in high regard because they viewed him as the protector of the community and the father of the twin founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus.

Characters who take on the Ares archetype are usually depicted as brawlers, and that includes Wrecker. With Ares, a surge of emotions is likely to evoke an immediate physical action. A person who identifies as Ares is in touch with their feelings and in their bodies. They are passionate, intense and can easily be caught up in the moment. Homer's Iliad portrays Ares as a god who enjoys war for its own sake – the din and roar of battles, the slaughter and the destruction. We have seen multiple times that Wrecker loves being on the battlefield as he lets out battle cries as he fights and he gets frustrated when the battle is over without him. He normally uses his physical strength to take down his enemies, even excitedly turns himself into a "wrecking ball" as he rips apart various droids to clear a hallway in "Unfinished Business".

An Ares person is active (some can be hyperactive, and this seemingly matches the headcanon that Wrecker has ADHD), emotional and expressive. They will usually protest loudly and their bodies will response to it, ranging from the redness of their face to the movement of their limbs. Wrecker has a habit of complaining loudly when he is starving, bored or in pain, and his body reacts to it as well. For example, in "Aftermath", when Wrecker argues with Tech, he waves his finger angrily at Tech and slams his fists on the table. When he is experiencing his fear of heights, he verbally expresses it and he sometimes clings onto something for safety. When he is happy, he shows it through light shoulder punches, bear hugs and boisterous laughter. Basically, Wrecker is like a big child as described by his voice actor Dee Bradley Baker.

People who identify as Ares are drawn to action and intensity. They prefer occupations that present some risks over paperwork. For Wrecker, that will be anything related to detonations and weapons. Ares people like to work with other people and they value loyalty, courage and community. These values are upheld by the Wookiees, which explains why Wrecker gets along with them easily in "Tribe".

As a positive Ares, Wrecker is energetic and sensitive, and is not afraid to express his emotions and vulnerabilities. For example, he admits that he and Crosshair cry upon seeing the new armoury in "Aftermath". Moreover, as Ares, Wrecker can move on from one emotion to another quickly. This is seen as a good thing in most situations like in the episode "On the Wings of Keeradaks", Wrecker pushes past his fear of heights to save Crosshair from falling. This trait also helps Wrecker to better regulate his emotions and aggression – he can quickly get aggressive in battle, but once the battle is over, he quickly reverts back to being a big child. This keeps the warrior within him in control. His ability to move on and let go quickly means he is not a grudge holder. This is evident in "Replacements" when Wrecker admits that he kind of misses Crosshair despite Echo reminding him that Crosshair shot him not long ago. However, this ability can be a problem at times. For example, in "Aftermath", Wrecker thinks that the Empire isn't so bad after checking out the new armoury and receiving unlimited explosives, despite earlier on, he was furious that Tarkin used live rounds on the Bad Batch during the battle simulation, which shows that the Empire does not care about their safety, and it is a red flag that he should have taken notice of.

As a positive Ares, Wrecker easily becomes an Earth Father who enjoys the company of children and is heavily involved with them. It is easy for him to get along with other people's children like Cut and Suu's children, but to father a child in long term (like adopting Omega), it serves as a challenge for him due to Ares's "here-and-now moment" nature. Fortunately, he adapts well to fatherhood and he gives Omega a basic sense of being fathered. For example, he usually picks her up and takes her on his shoulder with him as he walks, he teaches her how to defuse a bomb, and he takes her to enjoy some Mantell Mix after a mission. Furthermore, he is naturally generous when he has something to give, just like how he gives Omega his tooka toy Lula, and shares rations with her.