chapter nineteen

when watching a game full of talented players, seeing the players being serious yet playful can be common, despite the close and risky game. the seijoh and johzenji match score coming out to be 25:18 and 25:22. it was certainly a close match considering in this particular match, johzenji high school prioritized on the fun portion.

nevertheless, it was an exciting match overall. iwaizumi was able to score a lot of points, especially hearing y/n cheer for him and his teammates. he felt like his legs were on fire from jumping around so much, but continued to push through, glad that they were able to win the quarter finals.

since it was the last game of the day, everyone, with permission from the coaches, was allowed down to the court. "tooru, your fangirls really are something. i was on the other side of the cheering team, and i still heard them as if they had speakers." y/n chuckled at the memory and wished she was exaggerating.

"eh~ you shouldn't undermine your true fans either, y/n-chan~" oikawa cooed at the girl, breaking away from their hug.

iwaizumi raised a brow, confused at oikawa's statement. hanamaki seemed to notice his expression and spoke up, "since y/n-chan's getting some attention by being with oikawa, she's made a few fans of her own. mostly from other athletes in different sports."

"i think she also had some fans from tokyo, too, since the schools are so close together." matsukawa chipped in.

"it's not like they're fans of me, it's probably because of tetsurou or kotarou being annoying, or something with the work i do." y/n immediately turns down the idea, also mentioning that it's usually friends of friends who follow her.

oikawa laughed, "y/n-nee has so many fans because of the work she does. so humble!" he cuts in.

iwaizumi nodded understandingly, "i wouldn't be surprised, y/n-chan. you're a hard worker and dedicated in what you do."

"ah- thank you, iwa-kun." y/n decided not to talk back, appreciating the compliment from the ace.

kindaichi goes to the group, mentioning to them that the coaches are requesting for y/n's assistance and her input from the game. she nods, heading over to the two older men across the court, who were packing their belongings.

the rest of the players were talking about their post-game plans while packing up and getting ready to leave. iwaizumi was quiet and in thought, thinking about y/n's social media and the fans his friends were talking about. he decides to check it out, realizing he never really keeps track of his friend's social media.

while everyone else was in the bathroom getting ready, he decides to check it out, realizing he never really keeps track of his friend's social media. he noticed how many people follow her now, also noting that they have multiple mutual connections with other athletes in the area. her feed is aesthetically pleasing, combining her love for sports medicine, nutrition and culinary, and friends. iwaizumi even noticed that he was tagged in a few group pictures with the rest of the team.

the warm feeling he had in his chest was immediately gone when a large body jumps on his back, causing him to stumble and fall. he looks up to see oikawa with a sheepish grin.

"shitty-kawa if you don't get your ass off of me in three seconds, i will strangle you." he murmurs, giving the brunette the deadliest glare imaginable.

"you'll do it anyways because you're so kinky iwa-chan~" oikawa teases, jumping up immediately and running away from him.

iwaizumi chases him down, flushed, annoyed and angry, while the rest of the team comes out and watches.

what iwaizumi fails to notice was his opened phone still on the floor. Unluckily picked up by hanamaki, giggling at the screen and immediately showing matsukawa and the rest of the third years that were out.

"he's so down bad, and he doesn't even realize it." watari, the libero, chuckles.

once all the players were ready, they waited for their coach to know the schedule for the following day. the day they go against their rival school, shiratorizawa. each player paid close attention to the instructions given and nodded to their coaches.

today was the final day of the tournament, meaning this was one of the final times aoba johsai and shiratorizawa are going against each other

today was the final day of the tournament, meaning this was one of the final times aoba johsai and shiratorizawa are going against each other. everyone was getting in the zone, all having their own reasons for wanting to win this match; whether it be motivation from oikawa and iwaizumi, petty rivalry or just wanting to win, they all showed up in their best form.

the team saw y/n about an hour before they had to warm up, grateful to see her with energy bars and drinks that could help them.

"please never leave me, y/n-chan. i actually don't know what i'd do if my athletic trainer wasn't as cute or as attentive as you." matsukawa cooed, hugging the girl tightly with coconut water in his hands.

"i'm sure you'll all get trainers who are just as dedicated as i am. i hope for the best for all of you." y/n laughed. she stayed for a few minutes, talking and giving them some motivation before having to head to the stands with a few of her friends.

"you think y/n-san's cute, matsu?" iwaizumi wonders, sipping on his coconut water.

"of course. if she showed interest in dating, i definitely would've asked her out already, but i respect her focus and ambitions," the spiker shrugged it off.

"i think the only person who weren't crushing on her were the ones with girlfriends, you, and of course, mad dog." hanamaki added, attempting to shoot his bottle towards the trashcan, and completely missing, making oikawa laugh.

a few people on the team nods in agreement, all acting normal as if it wasn't news to iwaizumi that people on the team found their friend attractive.

iwaizumi briefly wonders if the girl would be interested in him if he also showed he was interested, but the thought was gone immediately when he thinks of his situation with yumie. he decides to not think too much about their relationship, not wanting to be distracted during the game.

hearing y/n cheering on his team was a good enough motivation to be focusing on the game, pushing him to do his best.