xoxo Chapter 3 xoxo

When YN woke up again, she was in a different room. The men had disappeared, and she felt much more at ease, even thought she hated the idea of being left alone.

The girl tried getting up, only realizing she was tied to a chair by handcuffs. She couldn't sit down either, and her head was dizzy.

Something felt weird. She couldn't see anything from her right eye, only this faint color of blood. As she started to panic, she heard someone unlock the door, before walking in.

The boy had a black wolf cut, and a spy jumpsuit on. It was complemented by a white collar and a few handguns.

"What happened to my eye?", asked YN, trying to keep her smile despite the blood dropping on the ground.

"We're not talking about math anymore, are we.", muttered the stranger before walking closer.

"You have two choices. Either live, or die."

This voice. She knew it. Hyunjin.

"I choose die.", the girl laughed with sarcasm.

A cold silence echoed.

"Do you want to lose your other eye as well?"

"What do you mean?"

The man threw a mirror at YN, it nearly breaking on the floor. In the reflection, the girl saw herself. Only... only... right now she looked like a monster.

The pain, the blood, the dizziness, it all came back to her. She felt like crying. She felt like running off. But she knew she couldn't. That's what they wanted. She lost an eye, yes, but she still had so much. Right?

"That. Is. So. Sick!", the girl forced herself to say.

Don't show your fear. Don't show your pain. Don't show anything.

"If you keep being stubborn, it won't be a matter of eyes."

YN gulped, a smile still plastered on her face.

"Now listen to me. We, Stray Kids, are planning to operate at the Seoul Art Museum before the 25th. We need a decoy, someone who could bring attention to another-"

"I know what a decoy is.", remarked YN matter-of-factly.

Hyunjin snatched a gun from his belt, pointing it to the girl's head, unfazed.

"You either say yes, and I'll spare your life, or no, and I kill you right now."

YN thought for a bit. Pain, or excitement. The answer seemed obvious, in a way. Torture wasn't on her to do list.

Plus, she was already a rebel. Joining the mafia wasn't that far from things she usually did.

"So you're asking me to join?"

Hyunjin looked into her eyes, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would we want someone useless? No, think of yourself as a... diversion."

He then chuckled sarcastically, as YN looked down. He was just 17, and he was killing people. She looked at him pick up a revolver, and start to walk away.

"Where are you going? I didn't answer yet!"

The boy stopped in his tracks.

"You really are self-centered. You see, a mafia's life doesn't revolve around keeping you company."

Before closing the door, he added, "You have two hours."

The girl wanted to protest, but he was already gone.

Those two hours felt like a thousand years. YN never thought about death as something possible, it was always so far away. Even a few hours ago, when Bang Chan threatened her, she felt like it just wasn't possible. She knew it was just a pull on a trigger, a meaningless end, but she didn't want to believe life was that easy to take away.

Only, the blood dripping from her eye and the skulls arranged on the nearby shelf made her see things differently, as though something in her had changed drastically.

She knew she would have to pull triggers in the future if she followed their instructions, but a part of her... a very selfish part of her... wanted to agree despite that fact.

She wasn't done with this world. She wasn't done with herself. There still was so much to see, to feel. So, she had no choice.

"Hyunjin didn't kill you off yet?", said a voice, waking her up from her thoughts.

YN looked up. It was a boy with light brown hair and blue contacts. She had seen him whisper to Felix when she was still being interrogated.

"Apparently he didn't.", YN smiled brightly.

A short silence followed.

"Damn that sucks, now I have to pay Felix a million."

He rolled his eyes, annoyed.

"Well you're rich.", laughed YN.

Who would bet so much money otherwise?

The boy simply shrugged, walking off as if nothing happened. For a faint moment she could hear Felix's deep voice through the door again, then nothing.

YN couldn't believe they made bets on innocent lives. But... at the same time, it was all kind of exciting. Dangerous, yes, but exciting. And somehow that meant so, so much to her.

Naturally, when Hyunjin returned, she had already made up her mind. In those mere two hours she had grown up faster than in the past two years.

"I'll help you!"

The boy looked up from his knife with the icy glare he always had, not even bothering to look away when the air started getting tense.

"Training tomorrow at 4. A minute late and you can say goodbye to your life."

"Wait, training?"

Hyunjin looked at the girl coldly, as though she was crazy.

"Do you expect to be a diversion by batting your eyelashes?"

At your silence, he let out a faint chuckle.

"Thought so."