Part 68

68

"Please…don't let them…"

Fuck. Another one.

The nightmares had started maybe an hour after Caitlin had fallen asleep and this was the third time tonight. Hell, it wasn't even midnight yet.

"I'm here. I won't let them hurt you," I murmured. I smoothed my pyjamas, making sure they covered as much of me as possible. I had to be so careful. If it weren't for Caitlin, I wouldn't even own pyjamas.

She owned very little in the way of clothing, now – in the end, I'd had to bag up all her ruined clothes before putting them in the rubbish bin. Caitlin's tears had been more than I could take. Her wardrobe was as bare as one in a hotel room – no, more than that. Even hotel wardrobes had bathrobes. Hers was sliced into so many pieces I'd had to vacuum some of them up.

I moved closer to Caitlin, every movement controlled as I pulled her into a hug. "It's okay. They're not here. It's over now, just a dream…"

I felt her relax. "Nathan?"

"That's right. Just us here, no one else. You're safe at home." I loosened my hold on her.

"I…they…."

"I know. Just a dream. It's okay." I took a breath and let it out slowly as I let go of her. "Try to get back to sleep, okay?"

"Okay…" The bed springs crunched lightly as they compressed under her shifting weight.

I sighed and shifted so my head was back on my own pillow. The clock read 11.46. I wondered how long it would be before the next nightmare as I slid into sleep.

"Let me go, you bastard!"

1.03. Oh shit, it's this one. Don't touch her 'til she's awake.

"No one but you and I here, angel. No one's got you. They can't hurt you any more." I spoke at normal volume, hoping to wake her with only my voice. I didn't want her clawing at my face again.

"I said, let me go, loser!" Her voice rose.

Fuck. The neighbours are going to hear this one if I don't wake her up soon.

I touched her shoulder lightly. "Caitlin, it's Nathan. You're safe. I swear, you're safe…"

She turned on me and I felt her nails rake my cheek as I pulled away too slowly. I caught her hands in mine, as carefully as I could. She dug her nails into my palm.

"Let me go," she insisted, trying to pull her hands out of my grasp.

"Wake up, angel. No one's hurting you – least of all me. Come on, you know who I am…" I shifted away from her, letting go of her hands. "Just another nightmare, Caitlin." My heart ached for her as I touched my hand to my cheek, relieved to find I wasn't bleeding, though that also meant she wasn't strong enough yet. Almost…

A gasp and a sob. "Nathan? Please…"

Thank God. I moved quickly to her side again and held out my arms to her. She burrowed her face into the buttons on my chest and I felt the thin cotton soak through with her tears.

"Wouldn't help me. So much pain and no help…bastard." I heard the words that were muffled by my pyjamas.

I sighed in relief. "I'm here now and I'm helping you. No one's going to hurt you again, I swear. Definitely not her."

Caitlin pulled away, sniffling. She stretched out, resting her head on her pillow again. "Sorry. Thanks, Nathan."

I was slower to relax back into repose. My cheek stung, but my eyes still closed.

"Who do you think you are?" Her angry voice woke me again. I prayed that the dream wouldn't go any further.

"Took my clothes…" she wailed.

Fuck. I opened my eyes. 2.14. Here we go again. No sleep for the wicked, or the rest of us, either.