Part 70

70

My phone vibrated, not quite silent. The screen glowed brighter than anything else I could see, for it was almost dark. Caitlin wasn't within earshot, so I answered it.

Navid's voice was panicked. "They're almost there – just coming into sight of her house. It's too late to get her out and it's now or never – get her hidden. Our team are still on their way. Get geared up and stick your earpiece in, now."

"As soon as Caitlin's safe," I replied, my heart plummeting at the thought that she was in danger.

"Just don't waste time. They're coming and backup won't be here in time to stop them from reaching you."

"How many?" I asked urgently.

"Three men," came the answer. "No sign of her."

Shit. "I'll take care of it. Let them in. Talk to you soon." I hung up.

I knew she was in the toilet, but I couldn't wait. Perhaps this was the best place to hide her and she'd be safe. I had a million thoughts running through my mind, but I couldn't focus when I considered the possibility that she might not survive. I couldn't think it and I didn't want to.

I heard the sound of cascading water and burst in, almost knocking her down with the door. She looked stunned as she tried to regain her balance, but I shoved my body up against hers, pinning her to the wall, as I kicked the door shut behind me.

My shirt slid over warm black satin with a froth of white lace at the top, highlighting the cleavage it made no attempt to hide. Oh God, she's wearing the new little nightdress. I dragged my eyes from her lace to her face.

A face full of raw terror and panic that I'd do anything to wipe clean. Her eyes didn't leave mine before she whispered imploringly, "Nathan, please...don't hurt me," as Caitlin closed her eyes. Surrendering. NO!

Painfully,I was reminded of her lying on the beach and that moment when I'd thought she was dead.

My heart contracted in my chest, aching forher, as I thought about how lost I'd be if anyone hurt her. If I lost her tonight. I tried to reassure her. "It's okay. You're safe," I lied through my teeth, knowing she didn't believe me.

I could feel her heart beating fast under my hand, reminding me that she was still alive. "I'm not going to hurt you," I murmured. Fuck. LET THEM hurt you. Not going to let THEM hurt you…Surely she knows by now that I'd never hurt her! Her eyes stayed closed. She opened her mouth to draw a deep, shaky breath.

I moved almost by instinct. There was no thought. I just looked at her face, her lips, her closed eyes…and touched my lips to hers.

She stiffened and her eyes flew open. She just stared at me, her eyes filled with hurt and betrayal, as if she didn't know me, as well she might. Like I reminded her of them.

I broke away from her. "I'm sorry..."

"Chris..." she breathed, confirming my fears.

She brought her knee up between my legs as hard as she could. "You prick," she hissed in my ear as I doubled over. "You did that before and you hoped I wouldn't remember."

She tried to shove past me, but even in my haze of pain I remembered why I'd cornered her in here in the first place. She's getting stronger, I realised. If I can keep her alive past tonight, she's going to recover. My heart leaped at the thought.

"I need you to stay here. The security guard's told me there are people outside your house and I need you to hide in here, where no one will guess you are. Just until the police arrive." I pushed her into the corner, pressing her shoulders toward the floor.

Her cheek pressed against the trickling cistern, her dry eyes were both furious and terrified as she looked up at me. "You can't leave me here alone – give me something to defend myself with or stay here with me!" Her hands were curled into fists and so were her bare toes, she was so angry.

I wavered, wanting to stay.

NO – don't think of that night on the beach. Concentrate on keeping her alive. Struggling to keep my focus, I crouched in front of her. "I can't. They might have seen me come in here. If I stay here and they come into the house before the police arrive, this is the first place they'll look, because they know I'll be here. Then they'll find you, too."

She bit her lip and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, her eyes held mine. No longer terrified, she'd harnessed the fury. FUCK. "Make sure you kill them all," she told me through gritted teeth. "None of the people who hurt me deserves to live."

I nodded, once.

It felt like forever, but barely a minute had passed, the time it took for the cistern to fill, ready to flush again.

I had to get out of there to keep her safe. I opened the door and pretended to zip up my fly as I shut the door behind me. I ran for her bedroom, praying I'd have time to get my vest on and some extra clips for my standard issue semi-automatic before they arrived.

The rip of Velcro as I fastened the vest, as fast as I could. Spare clips shoved in every available pocket. A loaded gun in my hands.

Please, just let her survive 'til tomorrow.

Would I? I wondered as I fumbled to fit the earpiece in place.

"Time's up," said a voice in my ear.

I jumped a mile, before I realised I was alone. The voice was Navid's.

"Coming through the kitchen now. Ready?"

No. Nevertheless, I nodded. Now or never. I need to end this.

Don't let her die!