28|Trying

𝟚𝟠|𝕋𝕣𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝕄𝕒𝕤𝕠𝕟

It's been two weeks since I've last spoken to Izzy, and as each day goes on with more silence, I begin to feel like more and more of an idiot.

Was I right for ending things with her? I've asked myself this question more times than I can count, and initially, I thought I made the right decision. I've worked so hard for my future, and Izzy was careless and reckless that night. She chose to help Zane without telling me, and does that mean she still has feelings for him?

But I didn't hear her out. I didn't give her a chance to explain herself. Would she have a good reason? Yeah, she got herself into a dangerous situation, but maybe if I just stayed and listened...

Releasing a sigh when the bell rings for the last class of the day, I grab my backpack and file out with the rest of the students, annoyed that I didn't retain an ounce of information from the lesson. My thoughts are consumed with Izzy and the possible fucking mistake I made.

But I can't just forgive her so quickly when she hid her plans to go to that party from me. She didn't trust me for whatever reason, which hurt more than anything.

I knew what this was between us going into it, and I knew there was a chance I'd get my heart broken. Zane and her had something going on when we started this, so I can't be entirely shocked she chose to go and spend time with him over me.

Zane is the bad boy and heartthrob of the entire school. He's wild and outgoing, just like her, but does he care for her like I do? Does he listen to her hopes and dreams and look out for her best interest?

I'm too deep in thought that I don't even see when I run into someone around the corner. It's Everett, and he staggers back to regain his balance. "Fuck. Sorry," I mutter. "Are you good?"

Everett nods. "Yeah, man, I'm good. Are you good?" He scans my face, searching for answers, but it must be clear as day because he winces and says, "Why don't you just talk to her?"

Students push past us to leave, but Everett stands firm. He's not going anywhere until I give him a response. The truth is, I haven't reached out to her because I'm afraid. I'm scared to continue this if she breaks my heart again. I'm scared she doesn't feel the same.

"She hasn't reached out, so neither have I."

"Because she's getting her shit together," he explains. "She came clean to my parents about everything, and she's grounded for the rest of eternity, so she doesn't have her phone."

Wait, what?

Fuck. My heart needs to stop hammering. It needs to slow the fuck down. I despise how desperate I am for her to realize how incredible she is just by being her—by being the real Isabelle Holden.

"Oh?"

"Give her time, Mason. Normally, I don't defend my sister because her actions can be..." He sighs. "She's trying, though. Really trying. Don't give up on her yet."

I don't think I ever could. Giving up wasn't an option on the table, and I love her, but I'm also not going to jump right back into a relationship with her until I know for certain she's serious this time about commitment. I want her to know who she is and be confident in herself before we start things up again.

"We're not done," I tell him. "I'm just giving her some space, you know? She needs to figure things out, especially if she came clean to your parents."

Everett dips his chin, seeming pleased by my answer. "Good."