Expect the Unexpected

**

Great. No sign of Luna anywhere. 

The coast is clear. I glance around nervously...Thoughts confirmed, no sign of her anywhere. 

I just need to cross the other side of the hall-

'Oof!' A mass of flaming red hair walks right into me, knocking me and my books to the ground.

'Oh my Merlin!' No one other than Ginny Weasley walks right into me. ‘I am so sorry, Neville! I didn’t see you there!’

Why her?! Anyone but her! My heart races as adrenaline pumps through me, plus the contact…you can count that as touching right?! 

‘U-uh yeah. Yeah! It’s fine, Ginny, it’s fine don’t worry about it!’ Oh my gosh. Shut up. Cease your talking-I mean my talking. ‘You can walk into me any day!’ Just shut up before you make everything awkward!! Says the little voice in my head that my brain refuses to acknowledge it even though I’ve just about ruined everything right now.

Man, I blow every chance I get when I’m around Ginny.

She raised one of her eyebrows and tilts her head to the side- as usual this almost makes my knees collapse underneath me. Good thing I’m lying on the ground with my books on top of me.

‘I-I mean I wouldn’t really care if you do b-because…everyone does!’ I manage to say at least another “long” sentence to her. So many miracles in one day. I hope my face isn’t as hot as it feels right now.

‘That’s not very nice, Neville. You should just tell them to back off!’ Ginny rants for me, she actually cares!...even if I did lie a little bit…but she actually cares! ‘Here, let me help you up!'

She reaches down and offers me a hand. I hesitate to grab it because of my clammy hands. Why must I sweat every time I’m around her? I swiftly but casually (I hope) wipe my left hand on my pants and clasp Ginny’s hand.

Immediately, I feel warmth spread from my hand throughout my body. My face feels even hotter than usual.  My hand still tingles even after I let go of her hand. She leans down to get my books. After I’ve caught myself staring at her for a second, I quickly bend down to get my books.

‘Here.’ Ginny hands me three of my Herbology books while I have the other two. I’m careful to avoid her touch. ‘Well then Neville, I guess I’ll see you at dinner! Have fun studying Herbology, though I know that you genuinely will.’ With a wink and a wave, she leaves me standing where she left me.

**

'Oi Neville?' Someone next to me says. It might be Seamus but I don't bother looking up.

'Neville? OI! We're talking to you, Longbottom!' That's Dean I think.

I feel someone's fork poke my face.

I don't answer them. I keep staring at my plate full of random food I picked out. I don't even know what I'm looking at.

More prodding.

'I think he's out of it...' Dean declared. 

Dean whispered something I couldn't quite catch to Seamus. 

After their sniggering and silent giggles, they turn back to me.

'Hey Neville, what do you think about Luna?' Seamus asked loudly- probably loud enough for the whole table to hear.

No answer. 

'Cause I think she's hot and I'd like to make a move on her. What do you think, Neville?' Seamus continued even louder even though I had no idea what he was saying; I had one thing on my mind: Ginny.

Maybe they were yelling because they couldn't talk over the noise of the hall.

'Yeah...me too...' I said loudly over the talk of students. I absent-mindedly nodded my head in agreement as I took a sip from my Pumpkin juice. 

Dean and Seamus burst out laughing at what I said and half a second later I realised what just happened.

Pfffffffffffffffffffft. I did a spit take. All over Lavender and Parvati. Who were also laughing like mad Hyenas.

'WHAT!! I MEAN NO- WHY??!' I quickly shouted but it was no use. I corrected myself too late and now I was going to pay for it. I put my head in my hands and groaned.

Seamus pounded his fist on the table and Dean fell over the bench and giggled like a girl on the floor.

I glance over at Luna and saw that she was staring over at the Gryffindor table, at the nearby Gryffindors who had heard our conversation, at Dean and Seamus...but more importantly at me. The whole Hall is filled with joyous laughter, most at my expense, some just because they are happy. 

I gave her my Sorry about that, it was an accident face and she just looked at me as if to say What are you doing? What was that all about? I smiled a little and tapped at my watch signalling our charade for Tell you later. She nodded at me and gave me a crooked smile. I think she forgave me about the detention thing yesterday afternoon.

Something looked different about Luna tonight. 

I think it was the fact that she looked...pinker than usual.

It would be hard for me to admit in person but I think that she...she looks different when she's embarrassed.

She looks cute.

**