THREE

Ch 3 [First day]

My first day at school, with my normal arms. At the age of sixteen, I attended my first class with my friends. It's still amusing for me how the other students approached me first with smiles. One of them was 'Ishan'. He was a short boy with a disciplined personality.

"Do you want to play football?" With this question, he approached me. I wanted to say 'yes' but there was not much that I knew about the game. So, I ended up shaking my head in negative.

He nodded, "I see you're shy. Aren't you? It's okay. Let me tell you a secret." He said and grabbed me by my arm. I stood up from my bench, "Your father is my favorite teacher!"

Hearing that made me so happy. I felt proud of my dad. It eventually gave me a smile on my face. Ishan must have noticed it when he turned and looked at me, that's why he chuckled. We both ran to the playground where others were playing. He snatched the ball from them and looked at me.

"Let's play." He screamed.

I nodded. He then threw the ball towards others and started a game. While we were playing, I got to know that Ishan was the wise captain of the football team of our school and they used to compete with other schools.

I was observing the game carefully but couldn't understand more. I only knew that we have to kick the ball until it reaches the goal. I was doing that since the beginning and was thinking that I did a great job. I was wondering why nobody seemed happy as me when I kicked the ball to the goal. They seemed like they were happy but upset as well. That's when a guy approached me and patted my shoulder, "You don't play football, do you?" He chuckled.

He was guessing right. So, I nodded.

"That's okay. Just play however you want today. You'll get to know the rules soon." He smiled. "Oh, and myself Rishi." He added and went back to his place.

I played to my heart's content that day. "So, how was it? Did you enjoy it?" Ishan asked me when we were running back to our class once the recess was over.

I nodded energetically, "Yes, very much." I replied.

"Now my moment begins." He said delightfully. I wondered why he said that. Then I remembered that it was my math's class and he said that my father was his favorite teacher but I didn't know he was being serious. There was no way someone would like my father as a teacher as much as he said he did. I myself didn't like my father's scolding. Imagine yourself in my place. Especially when your father is a math teacher.

Thinking about it made me thirsty. I stopped on our way, "Ishan, I want to drink water." The water cooler was right beside us but Ishan shook his head.

"Let's get into class first. I have my bottle, I'll share the water with you. Let's go before we are late." He said and grabbed my arm. We only stopped once we made sure we were in the class before my father.

Ishan sighed and sat on his desk. He was breathing heavily because we ran so fast. "Thank god we aren't late." He gave me a thumbs up from his desk. We weren't sitting together since it was my first day. He was sitting with his friend who didn't even bother to look at me the whole day. He shared his water with me as he said and i thanked him. Then, he went back to his desk.

Just then my father entered the class. We all stood up to greet him. I was looking at him already  but he had a hard time finding me because I was seated on the last desk. After the struggle of his son's search, he finally found me. He smiled at me and told us to sit. I don't know why but he didn't mind me sitting on the last desk on my first day of school.

Then he started to teach. I wasn't so much interested in studies so I kept looking here and there the whole time. Just like that, more than half of the period passed and finally, I decided to pay attention. That's when I noticed that father had started asking questions. I was doomed for that since I wasn't paying attention at all. At that time, father was asking question and Ishan was answering. It was something like a formula to an equation which I failed to remember. I noticed Ishan had a mesmerizing smile on his face as if he was ready to answer more questions. I never saw someone that happy during math's class before. Even brother Sushant wasn't happy when father used to take our classes.

I was getting bored, so I just yawned when suddenly I got yelled at, "Satvik! Pay attention." My father looked at me with those angry eyes. I immediately positioned myself straight. I could hear other students chuckling. It was embarrassing being scolded on the first day of school by my own father. I sighed.

After the period was finally over, Ishan came running to me. "Did you understand everything that sir taught?" He asked me.

I shook my head, "Didn't understand a thing." I returned. He hit his palm with his head as he laughed.