𝐋𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐋 𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐄 𝐃𝐔 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ────────────

𝑇𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝑖𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡
𝐹𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒𝑛 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡
𝑊ℎ𝑜 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑑𝑟𝑦 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑒𝑦𝑒𝑠
𝑊ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑡 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑠 𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡

──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

Madhapur, Hyderabad
21st Century, Kaliyuga

The golden morning light filtered through the delicate lace curtains, disrupting the peaceful stillness of the night. The scent of fresh flowers and citrus filled the room, giving it an invigorating energy. With every passing minute, the orangish-golden rays grew stronger, illuminating every nook and cranny of the room with a warm, inviting glow.

Lavanya was awoken from a fitful sleep by the trilling birdsong of her alarm. After an eventful night, she noticed she was still clutching the mirror she had acquired. "So yesterday wasn't a dream," she mused, looking at the mirror in her hand.

She set the mirror on the bedside table and stretched, letting out a yawn. Its ivory frame glimmered like gold in the fiery orange rays of sunlight that streamed through the window. The light bounced off the mirror's surface, forcing her to shield her eyes from its dazzling brilliance.

She was still half awake with the blanket crumpled on her legs when the snoozed alarm went off. Her active mind was buzzing with many thoughts about the mystery mirror, but her body was too sluggish to organise and analyse them. She dragged her zombie body to the washroom to make her resemble a human.

After taking a much-needed shower, Lavanya made her way to the living room, where the delightful scent of coffee and dosa made her stomach grumble in hunger. She leaned against the archway, watching her friend Amaya bustling around the kitchen like a seasoned pro, much like her mother.

"Ooh, that smells delicious," Lavanya said, hugging Amaya from behind, resting her head on her shoulder and planting a quick kiss on her cheek. Amaya laughed, leaning into the embrace. After flipping the dosa, she turned around and gave Lavanya a quick once-over.

"You know, darling, with that frazzled hair and designer bags under your eyes, you're giving off a rather strong 'end of term at uni' vibe," Amaya said in a posh British accent she had picked up from watching The Bridgertons.

Here's the thing with Amaya: she can pick up any accent just after listening to it a few times.  She drove her mad with a new accent every week when they were in uni. Lavanya would never admit it, but she's jealous of her friend's talent.

"Yeah, I barely slept last night. Weird stuff happened," Lavanya said, releasing Amaya from the embrace as they set the breakfast on the dining table.

If Amaya's father wasn't filthy rich, they wouldn't have afforded even half of the stuff they've in their home. At first, she felt like a burden on her friend. However, after a stern lecture from Amaya and her parents, she understood that seeking help from a friend was nothing to be ashamed of. She was grateful for their generosity and hospitality, even if she couldn't help but feel a little guilty about it.