Chapter 10: Too Many Eggs in One Basket

Everything was going well for Strawberry Productions. Ai had enough money to buy a new apartment, the company had made deals to get a performance at the dome, and the company was able to hire more help to improve production all around. All of this monetary success was due to Ai's growth in the entertainment industry as a whole. At the moment Mariko was looking out the window of Ai's new high rise apartment while listening to her dad drunkenly ramble about the success of the company. She had always liked the city, and in her past life when she visited family in China he would always spend the nights looking at the lights of the city. There was something so beautiful about the cities in Asia at night. While she was reminiscing on the past a sad smile could be seen on her face if anyone cared to look. She was snapped back into reality when she heard her dad say, "This sake sure hits the spot." Followed closely by him saying, "Here have a drink to celebrate our new gains!! Drink up!!" Under any other circumstances Mariko would have just ignored her dad's drunken outburst but this time something was different.

It had been little over a year since the last time she had this sensation. Cold tendril of fear twisting and turning into her soul until it turned into a concentrated ball of dread at the center of her being. Her frozen form was staring out of the window at the skies above. Mariko listens hard for the next words. Ai said, "Whoa, and it's a top tier sake!" Which was quickly followed by Miyako saying, "No, you can't drink yet." A memory that she had been putting off for over a year began to resurface. Even now she would have thrown the thought away if the parallels were not so clear. "Ai, Ruby, Aqua, Miyako, Ichigo, B-Komachi, and all the events that happened... It cannot be an accident or a coincidence at this point. I might be in a parallel reality that is emulating the manga I read in a past life." After Mariko finished this line of thought another thought seemed to creep into her mind. "It is done. We are all screwed. Ai already gave her address. If the stalker doesn't succeed then he will send someone else."

Aqua was tired of sitting next to the drunk Ichigo, and decided to move closer to Ai instead. However, on his way to Ai's side he noticed the small figure of Mariko at the window. Something was not natural about the way she stood there still as an inanimate object. So he decided that he would see what was up. "Mariko-chan?" He said as he walked up to her. She was not responsive, and when he finally got a good look into her eyes he could see that there was something wrong. They had this faraway look to them. Aqua knew that she had some strange thinking faces but this one takes the cake. Her eyes had this glazed over stare, and her jaw was just slightly hanging open. Aqua would call the whole thing creepy but having the mind of a doctor quelled any unnecessary reactions.

Mariko was brought back to reality by a slight tap on her right shoulder. It took all her willpower not to flinch at the sudden tapping, but she managed to morph the flinch into a shrug as she turned her attention to the person who had tapped her. "Ah, Aqua... Did you need something?" She asked slightly confused. Aqua slightly tilted his head as if to study her reactions before saying, "You seemed a little dazed and lost." "Would you believe me if I said I was just tired?" Mariko said softly trying to gauge Aqua's reaction.

Aqua was incredulous that Mariko would even try such a brazen lie. His face must have conveyed the message because at that moment Mariko whispered, "I am just afraid of heights so the view was scary." Aqua was not having any of it, so he continued to press Mariko on what got her so lost in thought. Then Mariko moved her head closer to his and whispered in his ear, "I have been riding high in the sky, but I have this bad feeling... Things that go up must come down... It is just a matter of how and when." Then she stepped away from Aqua and emulated an explosion with her hands. She then shrugged and looked at him again before saying, "But then again I have always over thought things. So I guess there is nothing to worry about." She gave a small smile before walking away from Aqua. Aqua was now mauling over what she had just said. Mariko had always been a strange girl but this was the strangest thing she had ever said. He just hoped that she was not right in her prediction.

As Mariko walked back toward the group she heard her dad say, "It's an important time, so be wary of scandals. Don't go contacting the father." As Mariko walked closer to Ai, Ai acknowledged Ichigo by saying, "I know." Mariko saw Ruby protest against the mention of Ai's lover, and the head pats that followed. At this point Mariko had a choice between talking to Ai herself or talking to her mom. She settled on her solution which was both. "Ai-san, piggy backing off what my dad said it would be safer to keep the door chain locked. It is not like they put it there for no reason right." Ai looked a little surprised by the words of Mariko. Mariko once again disappeared behind the couch but Ai could swear that she heard Mariko's wavering voice whisper, "Lying causes bad karma. A liar must be extremely careful to avoid reprisals. Ai could not focus on the show for the rest of the night Mariko's words seemed to strike a chord.

The next morning Ai found out that Mariko had gotten sick overnight. Which means that Ichigo and Miyako will be taking care of her for the week. "We will pick you up the day of the concert." Miyako's voice said through the telephone. Ai still couldn't stop thinking about the little girl's words to her as she went about her day.

I guess Mariko should have taken her own advice. She too is a liar.